Brisket Rest - how long is too long?

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
Just doing my hw prep for what will be my first brisket but I'm sort of stuck on rest times, trying to plan this all out.

I'm using the offical meat smoking calculator but it started off with a 4hr rest, which seems excessive, to me - will an hour or 2 do it?

I feel like an hour is adequate but again have never done a brisket.

30mins - to 1hr suffice or will a longer rest time yield a better product (all of things the same)?

I'm playing with the variables now, just don't want to have to foil later than 1:30am. The 4 hr rest has me foiling at 12:43am, to serve at 1:00pm.

You can usually safely rest a brisket up to 4 hours foil-wrapped in a cooler with towels. In my book, the longer the better -- no less than 2 hours and preferably 3 or longer.

i have seen different "rules" on the bbq classes, lets say 1 is the min. which is too short for me and 3-4 the max. I usually let it rest for 3 hours on the cooler.

You can usually safely rest a brisket up to 4 hours foil-wrapped in a cooler with towels. In my book, the longer the better -- no less than 2 hours and preferably 3 or longer.

i have seen different "rules" on the bbq classes, lets say 1 is the min. which is too short for me and 3-4 the max. I usually let it rest for 3 hours on the cooler.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to check my notes from Harry Soo's class and go from there.

Just wanted to get some tips from some others.

Totally agree with J on this. Been smoking brisket all my life, and have always let it rest at least a couple of hours. But, most times, I'll go 4 hours, or so...mainly, I want it to be ready before all the sides that my wife cooks inside even get started. Then, when I'm done with the brisket and it's safely in the ice chest, I tell her she can start on whatever she wants to have with it...normally pinto beans, which take around 4 hours. The longest I ever left one in a cooler was 5 hours...and believe it, or not, I had to still put on my insulated food gloves to slice it...it was still that hot.

How long does a brisket typically take to smoke and what temperatures do you guys use? I've seen anywhere from 225-275 suggested in recipes online. I think I'm going to smoke my 1st brisket Memorial Day weekend so I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible first (naturally).

After Edit: I used the google to look up the meat smoking calculator referenced in the OP... what a great tool!

Last edited:
How long does a brisket typically take to smoke and what temperatures do you guys use? I've seen anywhere from 225-275 suggested in recipes online. I think I'm going to smoke my 1st brisket Memorial Day weekend so I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible first (naturally).

Steve, I think you might get a 100 different answers here. And, I don't even know what to tell you, other than this...it is up to you. When I used to smoke briskets on a stick burner, I always cooked between a 275*-300* temp, and they were usually done in around 8 hours...with no stall. I chose that temp, because it was the temp that that smoker liked to run at, and was the easiest to maintain. And, it would vary between that 275* and 300*...probably averaged around 285*-290*. The first one I tried on my WSM, I did at 230*, just because I'd heard so much about "low and slow". I just never had a smoker that would burn consistently that low, like the WSM will. And, I put it on before I went to bed on a Friday night at 10:00pm. My Auber temp controller kept the WSM right on 230* for the entire cook, and that brisket took 17 hours, including a 6 hour stall at 165* internal. And, I will say that the point of that brisket was spectacular, but the flat was a tad drier than I'm used to...but that may have been due to foiling to rest in an ice chest too early, and it continued to cook. Anyway, my next one I am going to try at 250*. If I'm still not satisfied with the quality of the meat and the time taken to smoke it, I'll crank it up to 275* on the next one. So, it's really your choice of what temp to cook at, and your time schedule. The higher the temp, the faster it's done, and the faster you get to feel that jello-feeling when you pick it up.

There's also the wrap in foil, or no wrap, discussion...which can get you through the stall quicker. Personally, I don't wrap a brisket...as I just think it ruins the bark that we look for down here in Texas. I tried it a couple of times, and just couldn't see how it helped, so I went back to not wrapping. Occasionally, I have wrapped in butcher paper, and that's not too bad, as far as the bark is concerned. Then, you'll get into all the different "rub" discussions, and of course everyone thinks theirs is the best. In Texas, for the most part, we use Kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper...in a 1-1 mix, all the way up to a 3 parts pepper to 1 part salt mixture. Wayne Mueller, the pitmaster at one of the oldest, best, and most famous barbecue joints in Texas, Louie Mueller Barbecue, will tell you he uses 9 parts pepper to 1 part salt for his rub. However, I'm pretty sure he says that tongue in cheek...but, it does have a really good peppery taste.

Like I said above, I've been smoking brisket my whole life, and I'm still playing with it. There is no right way, or wrong way...and no perfect temp to cook it. It's a tough piece of meat to master, and the quality of the meat has a lot to do with your results. I always use at least Choice for brisket, as Select just doesn't contain enough marbling, in my opinion. The supermarkets in my area all carry mainly Select grade. Prime costs the most, and has the most marbling, and sometimes is worth the extra cost over Choice...but most of the time I can't really tell the difference. Where I can tell the difference is in using CAB briskets that I get from a local butcher company that actually raise their own grass-fed Angus cattle. Most CAB briskets are actually Choice grade, but I think it has more marbling than standard Choice, and is more flavorful.

Good luck with the brisket...and Happy Smoking!! :wsm:

Wow, that's some awesome feedback! Thanks! Would there be any ill effects from raising the temp for a spell to get it through the stall in lieu of foiling?

Wow, that's some awesome feedback! Thanks! Would there be any ill effects from raising the temp for a spell to get it through the stall in lieu of foiling?

Steve, I used to do that all the time when I used a stick burner. If my temp sat on any one temp between 160*-175* for longer than 30 minutes, I'd crank up my temp by adding another log, just to get it going. Then, with a stick burner it's easy to get it back down to your desired temp by opening the firebox door for a bit.

But, with a WSM, I learned from my first start-up test, you don't want to let it get a lot hotter than you want to cook at. They are just so solid that it takes a long time to come back down to your cooking temp, if you let it get too high. For example, when I opened up all my vents on the WSM and let it climb to 325* from 250*, it took about 15 minutes to get there. I let it set on 325* for about an hour, then wanted to see how long it would take it to come back down. When I tried to close off the vents to cool it back down to 250*, it took over an hour to get back down there.

You can rest a brisket in a cooler a long time. It's basically temperature dependent. If you leave a probe in it, you can get an idea of how the temp decreases. 140 degrees is your absolute minimum temp. You can rest sometimes 5 or 6 hours. One method to increase time is to preheat your cooler. Put hot water in it and then dump it out. Wrapping in towels helps.

As far as cook time, it just depends. I like to cook at lower temps. 225 to 250 is good for your first brisket. This gives you a good window at the end to tell when the brisket is done. (Probe test). 16 hours is pretty reasonable at this temp depending on the size of the brisket, and whether or not you you wrap.

I agree with Mick about salt and pepper. It's all beef needs. There nothing wrong with getting more creative with your rub, but too much powder inhibits bark formation. I'd stay away from sugar and paprika. Whatever Louis Mueller Barbecue does with their rub is pure magic. I don't know if it really is 9 parts pepper to 1 part salt like they say but it's good. Pecan Lodge in Dallas is another favorite of mine. I know they do more than salt and pepper. The crust on their brisket is a gift from the heavens.

I agree. The longer you let a brisket rest, the better. I usually shoot for 3-4 hours. 1 hour is definitely not long enough. You can run the smoker at any temperature between 225 to 300, depending on what you are trying achieve. It's all good.

I agree. The longer you let a brisket rest, the better. I usually shoot for 3-4 hours. 1 hour is definitely not long enough. You can run the smoker at any temperature between 225 to 300, depending on what you are trying achieve. It's all good.

It's all good is right! Many ways to the same result, a couple of weeks ago, I did a full packer at 350* in 5 1/2 hours and rested for 3,,, IT WAS AWESOME!

I finally got to do my first brisket on Sat/Sun; still have some improvements to make but learned tons.

Picked up a 14lb C.A.B morning of and did a donkey job of trimming, mostly because I got impatient (won’t happen again). Injected it, rubbed it, and allowed to sit for 11 or so hours. Got the meat on at 11:55 p.m., let the DigiQ do its thing and wrapped around 8:00am. Finished off around 1:30 or so iirc. I probably could of let it go longer but the flat was done and didn't want it to dry it.

Here’s where my issue arose!
Once pulled it from the smoker, I very loosely tented the brisket with foil to allow the temps to get down to 170’s (173* to be exact). After that, I re-foiled, wrapped in towels and in the cooler it went.
Well, I don’t know if this cooler was janky (it was old coleman) or if I allowed to get the temps to low but it only held “out of danger zone temps” for about 2 hours; I had to start serving after that and had to reheat for late arrivals.

So, did I allow me temps to get too low before wrapping and in the cooler? My concern was drying out the flat by allowing it to cook in foil.

Anywho, here are some pics, nothing impressive compared to others I’ve seen but it’s a start.
mkdpv9.jpg

zo8c90.jpg

nged6b.jpg

2uqmyag.jpg

s3njx5.jpg

2zgzodu.jpg

I did, however, make the most kick *** ribs of my life the day before (well same day if you want to get technical)…I’d probably never work myself like that again unless it was for comp or catering tho…lol
2yvqlxh.jpg

1zmoy87.jpg

Let me know your thought, concerns, criticism, turn-ons, what-have-you...:wsm22::eek:

Last edited:
Oh and I accidentally scared the brisket with tongs, after the crust was set..:nono Note to self, do not squeeze tongs when lifting...geesh

Back