Brisket question

Tony-Chicago

TVWBB Wizard
Brisket was done high heat method due to time restraints. Prime. Trimmed but still ended up with lots of fat. My question is, when I got to the point part i saw this.
Not sure what that is.

Attachments

• 20200924_162157.jpg
    20200924_162157.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 30
I'd bet that just the deckle...
Yes, that's connective tissue that didn't render beautifully, just trim it away.

I just stumbled across this tweet showing similar stuff, just not as much:

However, it's not the deckle.

The deckle is not the fat layer between point and flat. Deckle is not another name for the point, as some mistakenly believe. The deckle is the hard connective fat that connects what we think of as the lean side of the brisket flat to the underlying bones. If you placed a brisket on the breast of a standing cow, the point portion would be at the top of the brisket and facing out; what we think of as the lean side of the flat is attached to the bones. The deckle is never included in briskets we buy here in the United States, it is removed to reveal the surface of the lean brisket flat.

Confirmed all this when I attended Camp Brisket 2020.

Last edited:
Thank you! I should have remembered but experience is a better teacher. Again, thank you. I will not do a hot and fast on a prime next time. Or at least mot in a hurry...

Back