Brisket Point

I purchased a trimmed packer from my butcher that was a bit over 8 pounds for todays smoke. Due to the 50 mph winds and snow I decided to separate and just smoke the flat. Up to this point I have only done flats and am very comfortable with them. Here is the problem. I now have a 2.5 lb point that I have no idea what to do with. Would I attempt a smoke on this just as I would a flat? If so same internal etc? Thanks for any advice, Ken

Hi Ken,

Two words: Burnt ends

Use the find/search feature for suggestions on how to prepare them. They also have them listed under cooking topics. You won't regret it.

Richard, that was my plan but all the recipes on here have you start with the point already cooked with the flat. I guess I could have been more clear, would I start the raw point the same way as I would start my flat? Bring it to the same internal temp and then re rub and double smoke etc? Thanks for the quick reply, Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Easy answer is yes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1: points make great eats; sliced, pulled, sammies, etc.

Just cook it for burnt ends on your next brisket or pork butt cook. You'll have plenty of time to do it right and it won't take up much grate space.

You can cook it just like a flat. The marbling is so good it may be better to enjoy it without making burnt ends- but this is personal preference of course. It's a great piece of meat.

Back