Brisket Cook Time Question

jaystraw

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone,

I’m going to be smoking my first whole packer brisket for a small party we are having on the 4th. It is supposed to be about 8 pounds trimmed. It will be a grass fed brisket from a local farm in Vermont.

I want to cook it low and slow due to it being grass fed. I was curious if anyone has some ideas about how long this might take if I do it at 225. I’m a little nervous to try the hot and fast method because I know it’s fairly lean beef even though it usually has nice marbling.

Does anyone have any idea about how long this will take?

I was also considering just doing a 50/50 salt and pepper rub. Please let me know if anyone has any better suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I realized I never put my question in this post LOL. I just added the question about how long this will take? Thanks everyone

Just don't sweat it. Read, read, and read some more about briskets, watch Aaron Franklin videos, and enjoy. I was all stressed my first couple briskets too, but as long as you have a temp probe in it and monitor it and you remember all you read, it's just fire, smoke, and meat. GL!
🔥 :wsm22: 🐮

Allow enough time so that it hits temp/done 4 to 6 hours in advance of service. When it probes tender, wrap it up, (maybe another wrap in a towel,) and leave it in a picnic cooler until it's time to slice. Just walk away from it, don't open the lid, don't show it off, just let it rest. A good cooler will keep it warm for several hours.

Thanks for the info guys!

We are eating at 6 PM, so I think it’s going to be either a long night, or an early morning to get this thing done in time.

If you can get it in by 6AM, I think you should be good! Smoke 6-7 hours at 250-275 then wrap in butcher paper and put in the oven at same temp. Cook to 203 internal and rest it for an hour wrapped in towels in a cooler. Good luck!

If you can get it in by 6AM, I think you should be good! Smoke 6-7 hours at 250-275 then wrap in butcher paper and put in the oven at same temp. Cook to 203 internal and rest it for an hour wrapped in towels in a cooler. Good luck!

Cooking at 225 you should be OK too since a smaller brisket.

Good luck, never seen a full packer that small, must be pigmy cows lol , want to do a flat soon if I can find 1 under $6-$8 a pound, prices have been crazy here on briskets for a long time.

First I just want to say how much I love this place. Thanks for all the awesome advice in this thread already!

Well I had hoped it was only going to be that small, but it ended up being a 13 pound brisket, which I had them trim to 10lbs. I think due to time constraints, I’m going to do it low and slow until 165ish, foil it, and finish it at 300. Has anyone tried finishing it at 300 on the smoker instead of the oven? I imagine it would be even better that way? My oven is acting really odd right now and I don’t think I can trust it. I really hope it works out!2632C325-0A3A-4508-9781-46CF0283C4B3.jpeg2B2B3AA2-3676-4271-A083-78F5C35FC8A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys!

We are eating at 6 PM, so I think it’s going to be either a long night, or an early morning to get this thing done in time.
Hey Jay!

I'm down in Stratham and have plenty of beer. Swing by anytime and we'll pull an all-nighter.

First I just want to say how much I love this place. Thanks for all the awesome advice in this thread already!

Well I had hoped it was only going to be that small, but it ended up being a 13 pound brisket, which I had them trim to 10lbs. I think due to time constraints, I’m going to do it low and slow until 165ish, foil it, and finish it at 300. Has anyone tried finishing it at 300 on the smoker instead of the oven? I imagine it would be even better that way? My oven is acting really odd right now and I don’t think I can trust it. I really hope it works out!View attachment 8406View attachment 8407

I’ve done a 12-13 pounder in roughly 12 hours, the last few hours being in an oven. After foiling I don’t think it matters taste wise. Oven may be better to save you charcoal plus better temp regulation. Excited to see the result!

That sounds like a blast TCampbell! I lived in Portsmouth for years and moved out to Peterborough about a decade ago.

It’s rubbed and on! Fingers crossed!95884E56-C4F8-4FF5-A91E-A38005FC75C8.jpegA4B97245-0FCD-4BF8-BF41-57A086328478.jpeg

Thanks so much, and you too!

Decided to foil it at 12:00om and bumped the smoker up to 300 to make sure it’s done with plenty of time to rest. I put a little beef broth in the foil and on the brisket to try and braise it a little and keep that moisture content up.

I’m wearing the right shirt for today as well.
image.jpg

Just make sure you test for done rather than pulling it off a x or y temp. Btw, I find grass-fed lean briskets are perfect for high heat smoking (generally my preferred way regardless), just for possible future reference, and I rarely trim much, if any, before smoking. The big deal: don't cook to an internal temp; cook till just done, then rest.

Back