Brined Rotisserie Clucker

K Nelson

There was a 4.5lb clucker sittin in my fridge just begging to be brined and then rotated over open coals.

After cleaning I put together a brine. Here are the stars, no particular measurements, just added what seemed like the right amount into some water:

Brought it all to a boil, threw in some ice and let it sit in the fridge. Once the brine cooled it was time for a bath:

Stayed put in the fridge for about 3 hours and then just couldn't wait any longer. Another member recommended placing butter underneath the skin on the breasts and thighs so after doing so I shoved a cut onion in the cavity, twined and seasoned with a touch more salt, pepper and cayenne. Dressed for showtime:

Meanwhile the stage is being set. RO lump and cherry wood for a little smoke and added color. I like warming up the wood chunks in the pit so when they go over the coals the smoke doesn't billow.

Brushed the bird with EVOO and on he went at about 400 degrees. I basted the bird about every 20 minutes with what fell in the drip pan. Here we are after about 45 minutes:

About one more of these and we should be done

Pulled at 170 internal (165 was my goal) and called it a day.

Sorry no plated pics, the vultures were too quick! The meat was moist and the skin was crisp. Can't recommend the rotisserie enough and waiting to try a turkey for Thanksgiving. Hope you enjoyed!

Beautiful! I bought the 22 inch kettle so I could get a Roti for it....just gotta wait a little bit til the finance committee is in a good mood. :cool:

Great looking yard bird! I've got a roti for my gasser, but for sure going to get one for my performer.

Back