breaking in the new baby WSM

Chris Arnold

TVWBB Super Fan
Well i had to start somewhere...and there was a duck in the fridge - and a recipe in my Pitt Cue restaurant book

Brined overnight in :- 1.5L water, 50g tea leaves, 1" chunk of fresh ginger, 2 star anise, 100mls soy sauce, 60ml honey and 50g sea salt

Sunday morning - patted dry and left in the fridge for an hour prior to being rubbed with sea salt, soft light brown sugar, black peppercorns, toasted fennel seeds, star anise and cinnamon (was meant to have the zest of an orange too - but i forgot that!)

Fired up the baby with a small chimney of Weber briquettes and a couple of chunks of hickory

Used a foiled pan WITH water and it held temp solid for 4 hours at around 215..

here's the finished article on the smoker

and here's your plate - prior to the sides being added...duck nice and pink how we like it...

Now I'm officially a 'smoker' and creator of proper BBQ!!!!

thanks for looking
Chris

Excellent post! Nice results with the little guy.
Duck is probably my favorite meat. You did a hell of a job with that one.
Was it wild? Are you a hunter?

Wild? - no just a little annoyed :)
But seriously - it was from a supermarket here in the UK - they don't let many of us have guns...

Chris;
That's a VERY nice bird, indeed! I could tell by looking at it that it was not a wild bird (at least the ones I harvested in past years). Wild birds are typically, tasty, but very skinny after flying thousands of miles (think of a champion marathon runner - they don't carry much fat and neither does a wild bird).

At any rate, that picture brings back the memories. Thank you for sharing with us!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back