brand new smoker

Sandy Mac

just got a small 14.5 wsc and hope to get it set up for the weekend and try some chicken pieces on it ,but do i need to burn it in or season it ,there is several opinions on this but i cant make up my mind, any help about what drink i should consume while trying to pick a method would be also welcome best regards to all on here regards sandy

No need to season it but its always helpful to do a test run to get a feel on controlling temps. There is not reason to not throw some food in to test. I wouldn't start with big expensive piece of meat. Throw in some chicken or something cheap and give her a test run... good luck

You are going to love that cooker!
& welcome to the forum.
Post some pix of your chicken cook.

Get yourself a couple of Spotted Cow beers brewed in New Glarus WI, they are great to learn with.:) Enjoy that little 14.5 WSM, it has become my favorite smoker.

thanks lads for all your advice,regarding the booze recommendations bob its a brand we don't get here in the west coat of Scotland in fact we don't have a distributor in the uk for it , might have to import a few cases .

welcome SandyMac

just give the inside a wipe to remove any packaging dust etc - then get cooking
lots of help here - you'll love the WSM

Sandy
IMO you shoud season your brand new smoker.
Just 2 regular weber chimneys full of briquettes and a lot, really a lot of smoking wood.
Let it run alone for 3 hours burning all mineral oils.
That's all
Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Some years ago I read a post where the member asserted that the reflectivity on the inside of a new weber product makes temperature control difficult due to radiant heat issues. Further, he asserted that once you get a nice gunk build up, you'll be able to dial in temps better.
While I've never heard of any scientifically derived data, I can tell you from personal experience that it seems accurate. For me, a couple racks of ribs usually does it.

Get yourself a couple of Spotted Cow beers brewed in New Glarus WI, they are great to learn with.:) Enjoy that little 14.5 WSM, it has become my favorite smoker.

Howdy Bob. Not sure if I'd start with Spotted Cow beer on my first cook? I might start slowly with a domestic brew until I got the hang of it.

Back