Boston Butt on the WSM 22.5

M Schneider

TVWBB Member
Came out juicy as all get-out AND packed with flavor!!! This was a fairly small butt and I did a fine shred on it for sandwiches, (my wife's favorite). There is nothing at all added to this as far as sauce or anything, it really was as juicy as it looks in the pic. I did wrap it in foil for the last part of the cook though, which helped. Man, did it turn out good! Very happy with my new WSM. :cool:

Came out juicy as all get-out AND packed with flavor!!! This was a fairly small butt and I did a fine shred on it for sandwiches, (my wife's favorite). There is nothing at all added to this as far as sauce or anything, it really was as juicy as it looks in the pic. I did wrap it in foil for the last part of the cook though, which helped. Man, did it turn out good! Very happy with my new WSM
Congrats on your [first?] cook on your WSM. You nailed it, it looks fantastic

Congrats on your [first?] cook on your WSM. You nailed it, it looks fantastic

Thanks ChuckO. Second cook, first butt on the new smoker. Really happy with it. I lost some of the awesome bark with the foil but there's still some bark there kind of hiding underneath the pile.

Looks awesome M - congrats on the pork butt, and the new smoker. Being that it's a new smoker, how easy was it manage temp while you were cooking?

Looks awesome M - congrats on the pork butt, and the new smoker. Being that it's a new smoker, how easy was it manage temp while you were cooking?

Thanks Jim! I seasoned it a few days earlier and did a rib cook (6 racks of baby-backs) prior to this, so it wasn't too bad at all. It was a lot easier than maintaining temps in my old offset I can tell you that for sure. I have a lot of experience with offsets and from what I've seen so far, the WSM is a much easier beast to tame. I will say however, that it did run hotter than I wanted it to simply because I haven't dialed-in the proper loading of charcoal yet. But, that will iron itself out after a few more cooks. I managed to keep it in the 250-275 range fairly easily although I would prefer 225-250.

Excellent looking pork! I've tried both temp ranges and prefer the 250-275° myself.

Excellent looking pork! I've tried both temp ranges and prefer the 250-275° myself.

For more years than I can even count, I have smoked everything at that magical low & slow temp of 225F. After the first 2 cooks on the new WSM I think I may continue to stick with the 250-275F range for a while myself. I really like the results at that temp range on the WSM so far.

Last edited:
Congrats on your first successful cook on the WSM. Aren't they amazing! I was once on the low and slow only persuasion until just recently. I tried some loin backs at 275 a couple weeks ago and they were the best ribs I have ever cooked. Then I did some beef short ribs at 300. They were also the best beef ribs I've ever cooked. Tomorrow I'm going to do a 10 pound but at 275 and with total confidence I believe the results will be the same but with much less time than the 225 cooks.

Congrats on your first successful cook on the WSM. Aren't they amazing! I was once on the low and slow only persuasion until just recently. I tried some loin backs at 275 a couple weeks ago and they were the best ribs I have ever cooked. Then I did some beef short ribs at 300. They were also the best beef ribs I've ever cooked. Tomorrow I'm going to do a 10 pound but at 275 and with total confidence I believe the results will be the same but with much less time than the 225 cooks.

Be sure to post up the results of your cook!!!

Mike. I don't know how you're doing your smokes. I'm guessing Minion method. If so, you may want to try using less lit coals. Worked for me to get a lower smoke temp.

Oh yeah, nice PP.

Mike. I don't know how you're doing your smokes. I'm guessing Minion method. If so, you may want to try using less lit coals. Worked for me to get a lower smoke temp.

Oh yeah, nice PP.

Thanks! And yes, I used almost a full chimney of lit to start and that is way too much I think.

Back