Book Recommendation Please

JRAiona

TVWBB Gold Member
This may be a silly request but I'm getting a Weber Performer. Up till now all my grilling has been strictly on a gasser. I'm wanting to learn about grill over charcoal and want to know if there is a book that you may suggest to start the learning process. I know a lot of it will be learn by doing which for me is a big part of the fun but if there is some basic knowledge/techniques I can learn about that might give me a good start. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Weber's "Way to Grill" is pretty good. There are some super recipes in it. Many of the cooks are for gassers, but it's easy to see how they could be done on a kettle.

JA;
I was a decent griller, but after i joined this great forum, I upped my game BIG TIME!

I have a pretty good library, too, and can suggest the Weber books and Steve Raichlen's books as worthwhile.

Harry Soo's PDF on this web site, I would rank #1+!

FWIW
Dale53

I'd recommend this one, "The Cook's Illustrated Guide To Grilling And Barbecue". Available on Amazon through the link on this site. It has recipes and techniques for both gas and charcoal! AND, it rocks!

I have a few BBQ books. I enjoy them but nothing beats trial and error! I personally don't like cook books. I am one to have a loose idea of what I want and just wing it. I am not winning any prestigious chef awards anytime soon but I can keep a crowd full.

A great book on the basics of BBQ would be Franklins book. He goes over a lot of basics. His book is geared to smoking as opposed to hot and fast grilling but has some great info.

I got this book for Christmas, and I'm loving it

http://www.walmart.com/ip/747145?wm...13169328&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=50604266935&veh=sem

k2-_5a4f408c-5ebc-4500-b806-8cf59b081e2e.v2.jpg

I'd recommend this one, "The Cook's Illustrated Guide To Grilling And Barbecue". Available on Amazon through the link on this site. It has recipes and techniques for both gas and charcoal! AND, it rocks!

This is a great book and you can find it on ebay for around $5-$7 with free shipping.

ChuckO hit the nail on the head. I think Steven Raichlen makes some excellent books because there is always a large variety of things he covers. I don't always see eye to eye with him on how to accomplish certain things but his books are solid. BBQ Bible, BBQ USA, How to Grill, etc etc. Go to your local book store and check out the cooking section, they should have at least half a dozen book on grilling alone, and then more on barbecue.

I'll "second" almost anything by Steven Raichlen (I have a copy of his "Planet Barbeque" book and am luvin' the he-double-hockey-sticks out of it..)
Another one that can broaden your creative horizons a bit, while helping you with the fundamentals that you will need to know is "Barbeque Secrets" by Ron Sewchuck.
I have read and enjoyed both of these.
Something to do for the "grilling itch" while waiting for the weather to warm-up a bit...

I like Jamie Purviance. Google him. He does all the Weber branded cookbooks. Well done books with great pic.

Back