Boneless Lamb Leg

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Easter is one of the few days a year where it's acceptable for me to cook lamb for a meal at which my wife is present (does not like lamb!) :) Since it's her father's favorite, I am usually given the green light to lamb it up!

I procured a couple of boneless legs of New Zealand lamb @ about 4.25lbs each. I butterflied them open, seasoned inside with salt/pepper, then tied them up. Slathered them with a dijon mustard/garlic/rosemary/thyme slather, then dropped them onto the grill at 275°.

1711979375967.jpeg

I was estimating about 2.5 hours for these to get to 130° internal, but things were moving faster than I like so dropped the temp to 250°. Then I dropped it to 200° to further slow things down. About 10 minutes after that (and 1.5 hours in), I saw lots of billowing smoke coming from the grill. Further inspection showed my grill temp at 148° and dropping, so I suspect the fire got snuffed. I pulled both legs, dropped them in a roasting pan, and popped them in the oven set at 175° (still trying to slow the roll at this point.) I managed to reach 130° internal after about 2.25 hours (so, in the window), pulled them out, tented them and let them rest.

About an hour later, I tossed them in a 500° oven for about 12 minutes to crisp up the exterior:

1711979603115.jpeg

Sliced them up, and got things on the plate for the hungry looking horde!!

1711979630558.jpeg

Due to the varied shape and thickness of the roasts, I ended up with a nice mix of medium-rare through medium, which satisfied the guests. I thought the lamb turned out very well. Tender, a bit of that lamb gameyness, and great flavor from the mustard/herb slather. On the side with the lamb we had some sweet potato casserole, Greek style veggie salad (courtesy of Kid #2), and an herby couscous w/dried cranberries (courtesy of my bride.)

A very nice meal, with my whole family around the table (plus some extended family, too!)

Grill on!

Rich

Nicely done. The uneven shape of the cut lends itself to pleasing all eaters with pieces ranging from well done to med. rare.

I like it with some pita or flatbread and tzatziki sauce (Greek yogurt, cucumber, lemon, olive oil, S&P).

Back