Boneless Beef Short Ribs

Craig Wallace

TVWBB Member
Wife came home with some boneless beef short ribs from Costco, $4.49/lbs. Generally we buy these steaked out at $6 something/lb., but these came in 3-nice big chunks 3" x 5" by 7". The steaks are always good on the Performer, braise and finish off indirect to about 165. Today I'll do them whole in the WSM at 225. We also have some boneless pork chops that I'll smoke with the short ribs and stuff crab mushrooms.

Rub for Beef
Cowboy Rub = Coffee, SPG, red pepper, dry mustard, onion powder.
Pork and Chicken Rub = Paprika, SPG, red pepper, coconut flakes, dry mustard, onion powder.

End result = it took a long time for the boneless beef short ribs, almost 8-hours. We started them at 230F and had to finish them off at 260F, the final meat temperature was 192F. Too late for dinner so we bagged and we'll reheat for dinner Monday night. We did cut off a couple pieces to taste and they were good. The meat was tender and moist, lots of flavor: Tasted more like chuck roast than ribs. Cooked them with the fat cap up.

The pork chops were done in a little over an hour. Brought them up to 150F on the bottom rack. Good flavor and very moist. We had the pork chops for dinner with stuffed crab mushrooms.

Sorry, no pictures of the chops, got hungry and did not have time for a photo.

Next go-around, I think I'll inject the beef and start the cook at 250F.

Great looking ribs!
Imo, Craig, I look at the meat trama and it is very dense. Could be it was underdone? What about the bite? Chewy or not?

I have read that you want to cook the short ribs at a hotter temp, around 275 to render the fat out better. Last few times i have done then they took 6-6.5 hours.

Great looking ribs!
Imo, Craig, I look at the meat trama and it is very dense. Could be it was underdone? What about the bite? Chewy or not?

Enrico:
You’re correct the meat was just a little bit under cooked. I pull them off at 9 PM, it was getting late. My original goal was to bring them up to about 200 F. The meat temp in the photograph is 192-195 F. You have an excellent eye for me.

CraigW

I have read that you want to cook the short ribs at a hotter temp, around 275 to render the fat out better. Last few times i have done then they took 6-6.5 hours.

Paul:

One thing for sure 230 F is definitely too low and slow. I am definitely going to do this cook again, I will try them at 275 F and see how they come out. I'm always up for learning something.

CraigW

Do you have a recipe for the mushrooms and how long you kept them on at what temp? They looks great! I want to try that on mine!

I'm intrigued bu the Guru holder to.

I've had my DigiQ DXII over three years, sometimes I use it on the kettle too. The only problem with it, there's nothing to do once the cook starts except an occasional mop. Set it and for get it. :) A few of my larger cooks, big chucks and briskets ran flawlessly for almost 30 hours and I still had briquettes in the WSM. Excellent purchase for low and slow.

CraigW

I got one about 2 months ago and I love it. I holds those temps rock steady. It's been a great investment.

Do you have a recipe for the mushrooms and how long you kept them on at what temp? They looks great! I want to try that on mine!

Yes, I'll try to get it posted, it is a carb free recipe, so no bread or starches are used. To cook the mushrooms and melt the cheeses, they only take 45-minutes to an hour. The main ingredients are crab, cream cheese, jalapeno, garlic, little Tabasco, dash of red pepper and paprika on top with some parmigiana sprinkled on top. They really taste good the next day, I eat them cold right out of the fridge. I'll try to find the recipe this weekend. The Misses does the prep work on the babies, so I need to ask her.

CraigW

Alex:

Here you go,

Ingredients:

1 lb Costco Lump Crab Meat (Usually use the whole container).
8oz Full fat cream cheese.
Diced bacon to taste (leftovers from breakfast)
2 Jalapenos chopped finely.
Garlic (to taste)
Few dashes of Tabasco (to taste)
Parmesan
Paprika
SPG (to taste)
Lots of mushrooms, the mini whites or portabellas

Instructions:

Clean and core the mushrooms, set aside.

Mix the crab and cream cheese in a bowl, add the bacon, Tabasco, jalapeno and garlic. We've found, between the salty crab meat and bacon, it usually not necessary to add salt. Blend smooth enough to stuff the mushrooms.

Once the mushrooms are stuff, sprinkle with paprika and grate some Parmesan on top.

Cook indirect till the mushrooms are cooked and the cheese is melted. Cooking temp is not that critical. At 325F they're usually done in 20 to 30 minutes.

Back