Blasting and Powdercoating Genesis 1000 Stuff

DannyGarcia

TVWBB Super Fan
Ok guys I got on the blasting / powdercoating train.

Just drove up to Kenosha to The Blast Shop.

Dropped off a cookbox, two sets of lid endcaps and the entire frame including the little front apron that covers the manifold and the rail for the flip up table.

All will be blasted and powder coated in high heat black satin (it was the cheapest to do it all the same color).

She recommended satin as she says the glossy finishes fail the fastest.

The satin still had a pretty good sheen so I think it will look good.

I didnt do the z bars or the tank scale stuff. Already started rattle canning some z bars anyway.

Worst case when I do my 3000 ill bring some extra zbars , depending on how all this turns out.

Interested to hear what doing all that costs. I have been content to sandblast fireboxes and end caps and just spraypaint them. Sometimes I still even break out the grinder and cup brush to save $ and show myself I can still do that.

I tried to do a color change on a set of 300 frames that I wish I had priced for powder coating. A lot harder to rattle can large flat pieces then tube frames!

Interested to hear what doing all that costs. I have been content to sandblast fireboxes and end caps and just spraypaint them. Sometimes I still even break out the grinder and cup brush to save $ and show myself I can still do that.

I tried to do a color change on a set of 300 frames that I wish I had priced for powder coating. A lot harder to rattle can large flat pieces then tube frames!

Well, its alot.

I called around to a TON of places for blasting and they wanted 120 just to blast the firebox and one set of end caps. Also, most other shops didnt powder coat.

The Blast Shop said 120 as well, but thats their minimum. 120 for powder coat, also their minimum.

So I brought all the parts mentioned with me to see if it would fit within the minimum and they said yes. So the cookbox, 2 sets of endcaps and basically the entire frame all blasted and in high heat powdercoat.

I contemplated driving up by Bruce since he said im getting robbed aahahaa but Id prob spend the difference in gas for two back and forth 3.5 hour trips.

You never heard of engines and exhaust being powder coated ? They where coating huge machinery parts, I shoulda took a few pics ...
Never heard of exhaust being powder coated.....
I could see blocks --- if it gets over 300 you've got bigger problems!

I've just never heard of powder coat for high temps before. Cerakote for guns - yeah.....

Now that I think about it, I shoulda did the scale panel and a 2nd slider brace for a right hand flip up table .... ahh well im gonna have to see how the sheen looks and what best matches it with rattle can for the odds and ends

I had my cook box and end caps on my frankengrill powder coated with HH. Three years later they are doing just fine. I think the guy said they HH Powder coat was rated for 900 degrees.

Ask them for the powder manufacturer and part number, would love to know what they used. I have a good friend who is a salesman for Powder coating powders from 4-5 manufacturers and called him before I called the applicator.

Most are rated and baked at 550 degrees, which is standard for polyester, or epoxy.
Only a few companies do high-heat powders, and they bake at 800 degrees.

I know 10 powder coaters in my area I have used for products I manufactured, and NONE would spray high heat. HT contains silica, and they will not contaminate their spray booth or conveyor line systems. Maybe a very small batch oven guy, would risk contamination and all the cleanup and be willing to crank up the oven just for your job.

Plenty of guys would do high temp liquid paint with oven cure. StoveBright manufactures most of the liquid paint for BBQ, Smokers, and stove manufacturers in US, and some other parts of the world. I called their engineers about their product, in the end I did not have an over to back after spraying. Commercial liquid coaters have a $600-$1000 minimum. Since I don;t own a oven to cure if I ever scratched and touched up, this was not realistic. Same thing with Cerakote they use on guns, exchaust systems need to bake in a big oven, Turn out not that durable and scratches easily. I obsessed and studied all my options, becuase that little mechanical engineer inside will not let me sleep.

I wanted to do powder coating due to the thickness for covering the blemishes on the cook box castings. I took a grinder to the mold flashings to remove the sprues on top and bottom of the cook box and with the mold lines on the sides with 180 on the DA. I used to cast racing engines and components for Jet Skis and this cleanup was always done before it hit the CNC for machining.

Cleaned with Acetone all the sandblast dust and sanding and 4 coats of Ultra. Looks good.

I still would love to know exactly what powder they used, and how it holds up for you when you start cooking.

I took my Genesis fat frame to my powdercoater today and I asked him about high heat powdercoating, if he could do it, he said yes.
He showed me a 3 pound box of powder he got for a guy, he said $160 😱
I'm not paying that kind of money just for the powder and the actual process is more time consuming than just regular powdercoating.
The high heat powder was good to 1200 degrees.1000007181.jpg

I took my Genesis fat frame to my powdercoater today and I asked him about high heat powdercoating, if he could do it, he said yes.
He showed me a 3 pound box of powder he got for a guy, he said $160 😱
I'm not paying that kind of money just for the powder and the actual process is more time consuming than just regular powdercoating.
The high heat powder was good to 1200 degrees.View attachment 93661
I thought you had gotten cook boxes and lid end caps powder coated before?

Back