Blasting and Powdercoating Genesis 1000 Stuff

Well it's hard to say. I have seen imperfections of this type in aluminum castings but I can't tell if that is what I'm seeing or defective paint work

Yea hard to tell in the pics. I dont know ... I think I should have probably went to see it after blasting and before coating and if I saw all that I prob woulda took it home and tried to sand it out or something...

I agree. The end caps and cook boxes have those kind of flaws in them. Not sure if it is the coating or the aluminum though.

Weber aluminum castings are not that precise, and they do no finishing compared with say a Japanese motorcycle engine. I used to cast my own Jet Ski cylinders and heads and polishing and painting race engines was 1/2 the game besides being the fastest for the parts we sold.
Never paid attention for 28 years, then when I had sandblasted, they became obvious. Lots of flashing on mold marks, which I ground down with 60 grit and then 150 before spraying. Big sprue line where the aluminum was fed into the molds on the openings for the drip tray, along with mold lines and little globs of aluminum disturbing the texture.

Nobody in my area would do high-temp powder due to silica content so used Rust-oleum Utra like most.
In hindsight have them sandblasted, then grind and sand, and probably a 2nd quick blast to make the texture more consistent.

Weber aluminum castings are not that precise, and they do no finishing compared with say a Japanese motorcycle engine. I used to cast my own Jet Ski cylinders and heads and polishing and painting race engines was 1/2 the game besides being the fastest for the parts we sold.
Never paid attention for 28 years, then when I had sandblasted, they became obvious. Lots of flashing on mold marks, which I ground down with 60 grit and then 150 before spraying. Big sprue line where the aluminum was fed into the molds on the openings for the drip tray, along with mold lines and little globs of aluminum disturbing the texture.

Nobody in my area would do high-temp powder due to silica content so used Rust-oleum Utra like most.
In hindsight have them sandblasted, then grind and sand, and probably a 2nd quick blast to make the texture more consistent.

Right. I should have inspected them before they powdered them.

Lets see what they say tho. Im waiting for a call back. I think they should have called me and said hey, this isn't gonna look great with these imperfections.

But also, the guy there was trying to say it was the textured powder so who knows...

I'm no painter by any means but a blind man can tell most imperfections in them finished surfaces are caused by the person doing the painting or powdercoating.
Even on a flipper grill, I'd be pissed.
Picture number 1, definitely pilot error.
Picture number 2, the person should be ashamed.
My powdercoater would be embarrassed to hand me them parts 😱
Find a different powdercoater, now.

1000007300.jpg1000007301.jpg

Last edited:
Up close it almost looks like some of the paint bubbled. Being powder coat, there should have been a prep prior to application. Usually running the parts through a strong detergent wash/rinse, put on a rack and baked dry, coated and baked again. If those preps were not followed (dirt or moisture, or other fouling of the surface) the paint (powder) will bubble rather than adhere to the metal.
IDK who did the prep. If the company held you responsible or they did all the prep in house.

Up close it almost looks like some of the paint bubbled. Being powder coat, there should have been a prep prior to application. Usually running the parts through a strong detergent wash/rinse, put on a rack and baked dry, coated and baked again. If those preps were not followed (dirt or moisture, or other fouling of the surface) the paint (powder) will bubble rather than adhere to the metal.
IDK who did the prep. If the company held you responsible or they did all the prep in house.

They media blasted the parts then powder coated. I didnt see the parts after blasting, before coating, so I have no idea how they looked.

I'm no painter by any means but a blind man can tell most imperfections in them finished surfaces are caused by the person doing the painting or powdercoating.
Even on a flipper grill, I'd be pissed.
Picture number 1, definitely pilot error.
Picture number 2, the person should be ashamed.
My powdercoater would be embarrassed to hand me them parts 😱
Find a different powdercoater, now.

View attachment 94550View attachment 94551

Yea I was thinking the same. The shop has good reviews and its a huge place, all sorts of machinery parts and patio and outdoor furniture all over the shop so they are doing all sorts of different types of pieces.

Lets see maybe they will redo them...

Weird thing is the frame pieces all turned out nice.

Either way though even if it's the aluminum I think they should have said something before spraying it.

This is what I think.

The supervisor didnt even know thats why i wasnt arguing with him. He 1st told me the cookbox was texture. Im like, thats a blob ? He says oh well its probably in the cast.

The side panels he said was the texture of the high heat powder. Im like, the frame pieces dont look like that.

Back