Blasting and Powdercoating Genesis 1000 Stuff

Yah, Ed, I used to sit there with the angle grinder and Wire cup brush for a couple hours, several wounds and a black face, ears and nose full of black gunk. I am mega happy to hand over a couple twenties to avoid all that. Oh, and picking those wire bristles out of my clothes and even skin sucked too.

Yah, Ed, I used to sit there with the angle grinder and Wire cup brush for a couple hours, several wounds and a black face, ears and nose full of black gunk. I am mega happy to hand over a couple twenties to avoid all that. Oh, and picking those wire bristles out of my clothes and even skin sucked too.
Been there, done that. Very recently as a matter of fact.

after seeing the other detailed pictures looks like problems with coating.

Castings have a problem with out gassing with the heat used for curring powder. I had a brass bed polished and clear powder coated and out gassing was huge concern. But 10 years later looking great.

Production powder coater use a phosphate wash system to remove all grease and contaminants even after sandblast or new steel. Possible some grease or oil remained and surfaced during cure.

Normal powder cures at much lower temperatures than high temp, so bigger risk with outgassing.

So take back and discuss your unhappy and let them determine what went wrong

This looks similar to the issues I had with my end caps! I don’t think it’s the coating! It looked like weld spatter, plus the earthquake lines. It’s in the aluminum.

Attachments

• IMG_6837.jpeg
    IMG_6837.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6838.jpeg
    IMG_6838.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 9
after seeing the other detailed pictures looks like problems with coating.

Castings have a problem with out gassing with the heat used for curring powder. I had a brass bed polished and clear powder coated and out gassing was huge concern. But 10 years later looking great.

Production powder coater use a phosphate wash system to remove all grease and contaminants even after sandblast or new steel. Possible some grease or oil remained and surfaced during cure.

Normal powder cures at much lower temperatures than high temp, so bigger risk with outgassing.

So take back and discuss your unhappy and let them determine what went wrong
How close are you to finishing final assembly?

Just a suggestion...I live in an area (SoCal) where rust is not typically an issue. I picked up a late 80s Genesis that did not have the casters...the casters were reserved for the higher end grills during that era. The frame legs were capped with plastic caps. I shortened the legs to install the casters and this is what I found.

Rusted Legs.png

So inspect the inside of your framework, especially if you have a Genesis without casters. The plugs that are fitted to the grills with casters have 4 small weep holes in the corners, or at least the ones I bought did...make sure your frame legs can't fill up with water. I assume the water can enter through the joints in the frame, or maybe this is condensation. The people I picked up the grill from had a swimming pool, so that could have had an impact, I suppose.

Back