Blacking out a Genesis E330

For best results, I would recommend that you use a sprayer
instead of rattle cans. You don't need anything particularly
fancy. Just a decent compressor and a cheap paint gun.
What paint would you recommend? I know they sell the high heat ultra in a can which would work good in a spray gun.

So, what about this idea?

Use black for the cabinetry and hood end caps. For the shelf endcaps, use something like silver/aluminum to go with the stainless shelves. If you have a black hood and black doors it would look a lot like the new Genesis (below). If you want to go all out, you could even "black out" the chrome trim on the doors to look even more like this:

New Genesis.jpg

I am not saying I think the new Genesis is the ultimate look, but for a flip grill you I think you are trying to look like a "new" grill unless you are doing a true classic like an x000 with wood shelves.

Last edited:
Looks Good DanHoo. I think I just might outboard my tank as well. It is hard to get inside the cabinet and I have scratched the floor which is now starting to rust. It is on a covered deck so it is more or less just the scratched areas that are rusting.

Thanks @Richard in NS I used a tank scale from a Silver B so the decal faces forward, and mounted the one that was inside on the LH side for a spare tank. Having the tank outside frees up a ton of space inside for "stuff".

The only downside is when I light coal in a chimney with the side burner it gets ash down on the propane tank. I plan to add a stainless heat and ash deflector to the bottom of the side table.

1659923977137.png

a few more pics here:

Got the end caps painted yesterday eve. This frame is in perfect condition so it will remain original gray.

The end cap paint was rustoleum high heat ultra black as was the cookbox.

20220811_115537.jpg20220811_115554.jpg

And a closeup on the logo with the chrome plating sanded to a satin finish. It is not coated. We'll see how it holds up.

20220811_115108.jpg

Last edited:
Black is the way to go! Looks really nice. Now that Weber has returned to black this is no longer a reluctant choice but actually an in style color scheme for restoring these 300 series grills. Your gray cabinetry looks excellent, and I agree with your decision. I am still thinking about an all black paint job to see what it would look like.

Black is the way to go! Looks really nice. Now that Weber has returned to black this is no longer a reluctant choice but actually an in style color scheme for restoring these 300 series grills. Your gray cabinetry looks excellent, and I agree with your decision. I am still thinking about an all black paint job to see what it would look like.
Thanks Jon.

I have another 330 that is really rough, and the cabinet has a lot of surface rust and it needs a complete repaint. I haven't decided if I'll go all black or not. That grill is pretty rough so I'm hesitant to over-invest in time and parts money. I have six cans of Massey Ferguson gray so I might just keep the frame gray. We'll see.

Keep it grey. In the event of a nick or scratch, it won't be nearly as noticeable as it would be if it was black on grey. And you already have the paint.

I am surprised how much i like the black. Logo turned out better than expected as well.

Same here.

I was uneasy about changing the color, because if I hated it it would have been hard to change back to gray, since I cannot find the high temp gray -- VHT cast iron in stock anywhere. But when I walk out and look at it, it looks like it came black from the factory.

Same here.

I was uneasy about changing the color, because if I hated it it would have been hard to change back to gray, since I cannot find the high temp gray -- VHT cast iron in stock anywhere. But when I walk out and look at it, it looks like it came black from the factory.
Not gonna lie - I was half hoping that when I got my warranty replacement fire box for my Genesis C, that it would show up painted black, so I could have at least painted my lid end caps and had a color theme going.

I just think it is telling on human nature or at least my personal susceptibility to trends. The time or two members here have tried the black end caps on a 300 series, I didn’t especially like it. But now seeing brand new Genesis grills in the stores sporting that look, suddenly the black end caps look great!🧐

I like the black too. I bet I'd like it if the frame and everything was black too, but that might just be me.

Wow, that logo came out incredible! Dan, you should make a how to for the new style logos. Maybe (if you have them) compare a clear satin vs. a clear gloss. Then again, it's easy to ask somebody else to do something like that! I don't have any new grills or logos though :)

Back