Blacking out a Genesis E330

Wow, that logo came out incredible! Dan, you should make a how to for the new style logos. Maybe (if you have them) compare a clear satin vs. a clear gloss. Then again, it's easy to ask somebody else to do something like that! I don't have any new grills or logos though :)

Thanks ! it exceeded my expectations. I was fully expecting to buy a new logo badge for my personal grill and move the one from my current lid it to the one I'm flipping and toss this one away.

I'll add some pictures and notes to the logo refinishing thread when I do my next one. I learned a few things doing this one, and it isn't perfect. I'll put it on the copper lid which also is a little rough.

I picked up some belts for my belt sander ( 180 / 240 / 400 ) and I think that will be much faster than trying to use my orbital sander.

I used the belt sander to take the chrome off the edges, and I need to be careful because the chrome is a lot harder than the base metal.

Last edited:
Thanks ! it exceeded my expectations. I was fully expecting to buy a new one for my personal grill and move the one from my current lid it to the one I'm flipping.

I'll add some pictures and notes to the logo refinishing thread when I do my next one. I learned a few things doing this one, and it isn't perfect. I'll put it on the copper lid which also is a little rough.

I picked up some belts for my belt sander ( 180 / 240 / 400 ) and I think that will be much faster than trying to use my orbital sander.

I used the belt sander to take the chrome off the edges, and I need to be careful because the chrome is a lot harder than the base metal.
However you did it should probably be considered the "right" way of doing that particular logo. Again, great job. If that's the grill you're keeping you should really hit that logo with a coat or two of hi heat clear. It will look nicer and stay that way longer.

However you did it should probably be considered the "right" way of doing that particular logo. Again, great job. If that's the grill you're keeping you should really hit that logo with a coat or two of hi heat clear. It will look nicer and stay that way longer.

Yeah, well... I don't have any high heat clear, and there is nothing in stock locally. $22 to $23 a can on amazon...

satin? or gloss ?

does anyone have a less expensive option?

Satin is probably better, it won't highlight the imperfections as much. Home Depot usually carries it but is out of stock right now.

I'm working on a lid right now also. It's a red one that I'm going to put on my everyday grill. Unfortunately the paint needed to come off the endcaps and I'm going old school wire cup brush in the grinder. 20220811_214535.jpg20220811_214547.jpg

One more pic now that the direct sun is down.

View attachment 57234
DanHoo,
Reviving this old post because last summer your cool paint job on this Genesis really inspired me for the restoration of a Genesis 330 Special Edition that was, for a number of years, my daily driver. As with all of my crazy ideas, this one has taken a long time to get to fruition, but here is a little tease as I finish the last details. I will post a new thread when done.

Thanks for the inspiration!

IMG_2252.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

DanHoo,
Reviving this old post because last summer your cool paint job on this Genesis really inspired me for the restoration of a Genesis 330 Special Edition that was, for a number of years, my daily driver. As with all of my crazy ideas, this one has taken a long time to get to fruition, but here is a little tease as I finish the last details. I will post a new thread when done.

Thanks for the inspiration!

I can't wait to see the completed project. It looks fantastic so far.

I thought I'd post a 10 month update. So far I LOVE the black finish on the cook box. There are some significant grease drippings on both sides and from a few feet away they just blend in with the black.

20230605_115911.jpg

And an update on the logo. ten months ago I sanded away the bubbling chrome plating and left it as-is. I did not have any high temp satin clear so I left it un finished and so far it still looks great.

I'll be doing the same on an extra badge and will eventually swap it out. I was a little heavy handed with the sander on the upper left corner. That bothers me more than the finish.

20230605_115847.jpg

Copper? and then what if you keep sanding? And do you just sand them down to copper or keep going until it is just aluminum?

Copper? and then what if you keep sanding? And do you just sand them down to copper or keep going until it is just aluminum?

The outer layer is chrome, then a copper layer then the aluminum block. I sanded all the chrome and copper off to the bare aluminum.

I think the copper layer helps make the finish more polished and it may improve the brightness of the finished layer.

Back