Black durawood? Special Edition for Target?

Here are some more pics. Brake cleaner had no effect on the finish, so I cut a little nick out of the underside, and it looks black all the way through.

-KTZZBBYkwn1jEdS1tIvKTuajiIwie0I0TB1QanS9vesl3HI5u3YbX0qG2_04IkBdiD3rqUfl6Ydc0CHnnUCdI2lKV018GMH2fxrFQYJZuEt8QLBb17XCCyaEONhFjJ1v5fr0QtY8jY=w800

wc1EKUd-JUBiil1h-Gci-BQ3BvIcC107Bm4Gl2qMKQIDaYvICh33aOoMYU-HmUea6_Pn4VLTNmeWTVSsA0Isw6klcDOgNTRkve35HkXSJbh7VtY2kxfUMbX8PfjQBFLDf_l5gGAc8jA=w800

rnAh-I7e8br2baLceZCiRBrLXSeH09t8OmV9Cerf-bc7tVKg91OHt-H_zqtCyba18gyx--Pr8Uw92fskS1sqV6IV-YRd7_ZtRibnbvYybQoJ41EGU2XBMNQFWUypki_zDH-g2fahAJ0=w800

Hmmmm, I will have to put one of those in the Rit Dye bath and see what happens.

But I never saw anywhere that Weber shipped any other color but gray from the factory.

Maybe they're a one off for a special dealer or maybe the owner bought some Trex and made their own?

Wow! That is really cool. I restored a Target grill years ago that was similar and had that same dark gray (mica?) color. The tables were gone, so no idea what they were. However, the handle was gray, not black like yours appears to be. I think you should keep it original😎! If for some reason you don’t like the black, I for one, would I be interested in buying the slats and handle.

Jon, I am really getting anxious to test out the dye method. But, I need to find a long stainless or porcelain coated container to heat the dye up in. It has to be 18" plus to fit a Silver B handle. I am having trouble coming up with something. In the mean time, I prepping a few control knobs to see how they do. I need to clean them up good first to ensure grease and dirt doesn't prevent the dye from taking hold.
If you or any one can think of a suitable container that is 18" plus long and either SS or porcelain coated, let me know. The wife's roaster is only 14" or I would be out doing it now since she is at work. LOL

Note: I need something long and skinny since a round pan would require too much dye to fill it enough to cover the handles.
When I marinate meat, I put it in a plastic bag, and force the air out (before putting it in a bigger container.) How about using 1 or 2 layers of heavy-duty drop cloth to wrap around the handle, and putting the wrap in a bigger container? Yes, there's a potential for a big mess, but the amount of dye would be limited.

Pat, lets take this over to this thread so we don't keep side stepping the OP's original post.

As a fan of durawood, I think it looks cool. Seems the OP beat me to it as this was a freebie in my state. Didn’t rush to get it since it was NG.
I would keep it stock and restore it. Gives it a cool metro look. Wonder how it would look with a skyline hood???

Wow! That is really cool. I restored a Target grill years ago that was similar and had that same dark gray (mica?) color. The tables were gone, so no idea what they were. However, the handle was gray, not black like yours appears to be. I think you should keep it original😎! If for some reason you don’t like the black, I for one, would I be interested in buying the slats and handle.

I had previously been committed to buying a different grill for $30 on Sunday for the sole purpose of scavenging bits for my Junior project--specifically the swing table/hardware, usable slats and a propane tank. But the seller contacted me on Saturday to say she sold it. grr So I kept up the search for a donor grill and came across this freebie listing on FB Marketplace on Sunday. The "seller" agreed to hold it for me until Monday. I thought the slats might have been painted or perhaps just looked black because of the lighting. Once I got it home, I took the pieces I wanted, and listed the picked carcass as a freebie on CL. I also swapped the propane manifold for the NG manifold I had taken off my previous donor grill. The first guy that contacted me asked me to hold it until Tuesday. I thought it would be cosmically bad for me not to hold it when the only reason I had the grill was because someone held it for me . . . The guy came and picked it up as planned yesterday and gave me $10 for holding it for him. He said his dad had one like it and he wanted to put it to use. I have his number if anyone has serious interest in the very cool grey lid.

Original FB Marketplace listing photo:

WSn3Qwp1ikZrjVzHmtbrj9-A8RFZLHt5iimyQmAXY--q4IobNxIZHk8pAVU7E9RvK4MBEjQ5f1dVnWFYP4-otStFh0jnjyiIcROQpkvxb6hf0azFxSKOXs8ieBWxXxbPYPIUsDhAUJo=w800

Photo of the carcass from my CL listing:

JnT2DPCDOg9jz9U2a2bN4iC2lwD0dBwJzEUo9OT1IkVU-o5Byntr0zIUzwnYQVTU6KpCqfH2s-gKhnOobJhZlQVtZmIIuJq93sCe6WCY2gzfp0APhO7qP-Lq2hSIHVk4cK2IKED8o90=w800

I saw that listing in NJ. Would have swooped them up for another resto project but I’ve been called back to duty to our medical practice.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen steam table pans that were not Stainless, the cheap disposable foil ones of course but real ones? I’ve never seen an aluminum one.

Drew,
I've seen several Weber grills over the years with black slats and handles.
Always with a green lid too.

As a matter of fact one is for sale on the local Craigslist right now.
Screenshot_2020-06-24-09-56-31.png

Jeff

Hmmmm, never even seen one adverstised before. I wonder if it is an East Coast thing?

Back