Black durawood? Special Edition for Target?

DrewZ

TVWBB Fan
Update 6/23: Looks like this might have been a special edition made for Target with black durawood. Appliance Factory Parts lists a part no. (92154) for a black durawood side shelf that fits only the "Target-Genesis 1000 LP." The black makes sense considering Weber did something similar for Target by putting black handles on a Copper kettle.

Picked up a parts grill today for shelving and some other bits. At first I thought the durawood was painted black, but now I'm not sure. I wet a paper towel with carb cleaner and rubbed one of the slats, but no paint came off. Any ideas?
BkRkCbjXJGwTb11wxlYHZWUHrmBVH8TU3vwKWX1RrjCgRg9KOx55UD0ZcnQ31moMX-4lJh9VzitJuLHDnTPPb4Xf_TeNX2a5Un3Pka4szW-kz6GDSH1qlaxIntukAPP0KaonPgk4xzI=w800

I85Ya-C8ObL78LyHXv7CvrHzZ3RfdKM8bEBg8S-2b9m4-3ONaCVeCP9xnbG4dQKEezx3Wx0PKdpnuBd1NhhpbDbcWd7eRM_CQDRxswBFgj4PvdKnFM7PPd4u9HkyH08BsIWI4DrB1hE=w800

Came from this:
4uj6loj7u7B1Zs6g-fNwWYuQCSCw2p7Nd-KmSV_wiLZqz5lCpFVDW17jIHhWW-yg84ZGJ2sm2Adp1BpZRyP4ZASJawQRzgvbt33GkU6AcpGhpACE5KW1H53PH0JR0oaweUMYGn928Nc=w800

Last edited:
Pretty interesting. The dye idea makes sense, but a good paint wouldn't necessarily wash off, especially after curing for years.

Jon, I am really getting anxious to test out the dye method. But, I need to find a long stainless or porcelain coated container to heat the dye up in. It has to be 18" plus to fit a Silver B handle. I am having trouble coming up with something. In the mean time, I prepping a few control knobs to see how they do. I need to clean them up good first to ensure grease and dirt doesn't prevent the dye from taking hold.
If you or any one can think of a suitable container that is 18" plus long and either SS or porcelain coated, let me know. The wife's roaster is only 14" or I would be out doing it now since she is at work. LOL

Note: I need something long and skinny since a round pan would require too much dye to fill it enough to cover the handles.

Jon, I am really getting anxious to test out the dye method. But, I need to find a long stainless or porcelain coated container to heat the dye up in. It has to be 18" plus to fit a Silver B handle. I am having trouble coming up with something. In the mean time, I prepping a few control knobs to see how they do. I need to clean them up good first to ensure grease and dirt doesn't prevent the dye from taking hold.
If you or any one can think of a suitable container that is 18" plus long and either SS or porcelain coated, let me know. The wife's roaster is only 14" or I would be out doing it now since she is at work. LOL

Note: I need something long and skinny since a round pan would require too much dye to fill it enough to cover the handles.

Bruce, you have a welder don’t you. How about a 3 inch pipe with a steel plate welded on the end which you could stand upright on a Coleman stove or a hot plate. Here you could pick it up at a scrap metal dealer for a few bucks.

Hmmmmm, I wonder? Maybe a 4" pipe. those handles with the drop down for the swing tables would probably need 4".
It seems most of the videos I have seen on it, they use stainless steel or ceramic coated pots. I will have to check out regular steel though.

Bruce -- use a tall stock/lobster pot.

When my kids and their lacrosse friends would dye their sticks in team colors, they used my turkey fryer. Perfect for the job -- heat source and dye vessel, and you can do it outside in the yard. Do one half first, then flip over and do the other end. My kid and I have done that dozens of times -- easy, works great.

You can suspend it over the pot with a stick or string to keep the plastic end from touching the hot metal bottom of the pot. But that's probably not necessary.

I am not sure what a Lobster pot is. I will check on that. However, I do have a propane turkey fryer and large stock pot for it, but I don't think I could submerge an 18" item in it. I guess I could do what some others do on youtube and put half in and then turn it over after it is done on one end.

That being said, I am doing a small test run with Genesis control knobs x 3 in the kitchen on the stove in a small SS pot. The wife is at work for another 4 hours, so I am good. I won't tell you what happened when I poured the 1 oz of acetone into the near boiling water....but I did catch it on film. Yah, good thing the wife isn't home and I just decided now is a good time to check the fire extinguishers.

Yah, I think mixing the acetone in before heating is a good idea. Either that, or turn off the burner while adding it.

I’m thinking that it sounds like the “flame out” was based on the vapor ignition, an ounce put in the water would not make much difference as far as vapor burn off, it gets to ignition temperature, it’s going to light! I think you’re on the right track Bruce, cut the flame, add the acetone then submerge. No flame, no source of ignition.

Bruce -- maybe a full size SS hotel pan?

Roughly 12x20 which would give you a 23 inch hypotenuse.

But you'd have to check the exact interior dimensions to see if you could get the entire handle submerged.

What is a "hotel pan"?

OK, NM, I got it. Steam table pans. ..... I think that might be the ticket.

Last edited:
They sell them at Sam's Club and any commercial kitchen supply place like Gordon Food Service or such. Basically a large flat rectangular pan with about 3 or 4" high sides. Typically aluminum so at issue is if there is any strong acid or alkali substance in the solution it'll be BIG problem

I am having my sister order me one from Sams club. THanks. Better prices than I found on Amazon.

Bruce -- hope that works.

Please use it only outdoors. Your wife will be very unhappy with you if you start sloshing gallons of hot black dye around her kitchen.

Good luck!

Yah, I have a turkey fryer I will be using for now on outdoors. I just wanted to do a small test run and it was raining all day yesterday. I have one of those 12" x 20" X 6" SS steam table pans on order and then I can do some handles as well.

Back