Billows...this should be interesting

Wow, 46 CFM sounds like it could start a tornado in there. My 13 year old PitMinder has a 5 CFM fan and it's perfect for my 18.5 WSM & Kamado. My model is discontinued but BBQ Guru's PartyQ seems to have about the same specs at $150.

I don't have a WSM right now, but do have a Smoke I use with my Genesis. I've never even used the 2nd probe with it. Just monitoring the temp for low and slow smoking. I asked if there was an upgrade for the Smoke, but was told no. I've been intrigued with the WSM, but the cost of getting into that and replacing a Smoke less than a year old is discouraging. If there was a software upgrade for Smoke, I certainly wouldn't mind paying for a Billows and would be encouraging to getting a WSM18.

Chris, have you done any more with this since you did your video? Anxious to hear your thoughts. Thermoworks is having a 15% off sale so it's a good time to buy and I'm on the fence.

Chris, have you done any more with this since you did your video?
Lew, I've only used it for the one cook. Besides the initial glitch with the firmware download, I had no problems and it worked as advertised. I had issues with the app, but that's a Signals issue, not a Billows issue. I probably need a stronger WiFi signal on my patio for Signals to connect to my WiFi so my app gets the data it needs. Going forward, I might look at attaching Billows to a dog bowl so I don't have to foil tape over three of the four bottom vent holes. Seems like a solid unit from a company with a good reputation for quality and support.

Supposedly the Signals can use bluetooth and wifi. I wonder if there is something goofy about it switching between the two. This is just a thought. I've got a pretty good router that reaches my smoke gateway pretty well and I haven't had issues.

I tried an ATC that I eventually returned because of issues. The connection was the dog bowl type and since I go back and forth between ATC and no ATC I found that the foil tape method made that easier for me. Just something to consider.

Since I already have a dogbowl via my Rock's Stoker, I have found it useful. Not sure if it helps, but it does reduce air velocity into the WSM vs using a single port hole.

Just ordered a Signals and a Billows due to the 15% off sale. It also pays off be part of their email list (sweet discount codes). Can't wait to give them a try.

Mr. A, now that I've used it a few times I'm liking your idea of attaching a dog bowl. I've tried leaving the fan in place during storage but don't like that. I'm planning to drill a 1" hole for the Billows spring to attach to.

Chris-P, 25% off makes it a reasonable deal doesn't it?

Received this update from ThermoWorks today re: a new Billows feature.

--

Hello Chris,

Last week we announced an update for Signals that would provide Billows with Open Lid Detection. This has been the most requested update for Billows that we have received since launch. Customers have been notified of this update via email as well as a notification on their phone if they have the ThermoWorks BBQ app installed.

Open Lid Detection knows when the smoker lid has opened and helps Billows return the smoker to your set temp much quicker. It is triggered by a sudden drop of 10° F within 15 seconds. If the lid is found to be "open" and the temperature drops, Billows will stop blowing for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes' time, the fan will resume normal operation.

We are obviously very excited about this new feature and would appreciate your help in getting the word out!

Back