Big Cook Today

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Big cook today for my brother's 64th bday. Just got the pork shoulder on. Bone in, 8lbs Texas style. S, P, meat and smoke. Big Z sitting at 230 +- 5 Then in maybe 3 hours, 8lb boneless prime rib roast will head it. Plan to keep temp right there for it as well. Until internal reaches 125-130. Then wrap and place in cooler for a good rest (maybe 2 hours). Will then start MM up, and get it "cranking" to 450. Once there. Prime Rib will go in there until final with a nice crust (here too TX style meat, smoke, S&P). While hopefully pork shoulder is resting comfortably in cooler as well.
The pork shoulder is part of his b/day present as I know he really likes it. And rest will be also given to oldest daughter and SIL as well as being packed away for those BBQ cravings when I don't have time to cook it.
Wish me luck. Only 15 deg out there, stiff wind as well. I am gonna need it.

One thing, I’d lean toward the 115-120 range if you’re going to have a two hour rest then high heat sear, I had a long rest and while the roast was tender as one could imagine, it was overdone almost at the point of being “Well”. Just a word of warning.

Big cook today for my brother's 64th bday. Just got the pork shoulder on. Bone in, 8lbs Texas style. S, P, meat and smoke. Big Z sitting at 230 +- 5 Then in maybe 3 hours, 8lb boneless prime rib roast will head it. Plan to keep temp right there for it as well. Until internal reaches 125-130. Then wrap and place in cooler for a good rest (maybe 2 hours). Will then start MM up, and get it "cranking" to 450. Once there. Prime Rib will go in there until final with a nice crust (here too TX style meat, smoke, S&P). While hopefully pork shoulder is resting comfortably in cooler as well.
The pork shoulder is part of his b/day present as I know he really likes it. And rest will be also given to oldest daughter and SIL as well as being packed away for those BBQ cravings when I don't have time to cook it.
Wish me luck. Only 15 deg out there, stiff wind as well. I am gonna need it.
15 eh? And I'm here complaining about 3 inches of snow we got last night...but it's been 2 storms in 1 week. I don't think the groundhog knows anything.

One thing about prime rib, is I like it or ribeye steaks done a little more than med rare. Actually more towards medium. I just find them do be a little more flavorful and tender when done closer to a straight medium. Due to the cut being closer to the chuck. So, on ribeye steak or roast I tend to aim more to 135-140 on finish temp. Whereas if I am roasting a strip loin or doing strip steaks I tend to look for a finished temp more like 125-130.
Also I find on a rib roast (prime rib), when you do a slower cook things tend to stay a little "pinker" than you would think they would be given the final temps.

Hey, well the cook turned out impressively wonderful. My only gripe? The quality of the roast from Costco (the boneless rib roast) was AWAFUL. Stringy, tough, full of gristle. Honestly had to be one of the worst quality pieces of meat I have ever used short of the crap I was sent by Omaha Steaks. The cook on it was near perfection. I was just so so disappointed in it. I truly felt ashamed at how bad it was. Though everyone raved about it, I knew it should have and could have been so much nicer. I think it was taken from an old bull that was "in the rut".
But on to the pork shoulder. I did that Texas style. (Meat, Smoke, Salt and Pepper) that is it. Honestly it was nothing shy of incredible. It ate like pig candy. It was literally almost sweet. IDK how that happened likely the smoke. I did not go nuts with it. I simply used the blend from Sam's Club (Smokehouse Oak, Maple, Hickory and Cherry). blend. I did not feel like going in back to the other garage for the Oak/Hickory blend.
In any case good deep smoke, incredibly tender and juicy. Just outstanding. Between the beef and the pork my brother said I was gonna put him in a meat coma :D Care packages all around. Which makes sense given I cooked 16 pounds of meat for only 7 adults :D
But yet again even though I used fresh pellets. When I went to bring temps up (trying to hit 450) the grill hit 395 and stalled. now to be totally fair it never went above 22 deg here and with a VERY stiff wind hitting from the left rear side and blowing right into the smoke vents in back. So IDK if the stall out at 395 was false readings or the icy wind.
It's just weird how it worked perfectly normal, until called upon to hit 450. And it simply "stalled"
I have a feeling though the actual temp may have been hotter as when I stuck the beef roast back in it sure did cook like it was hotter than the indicated temps.
Oh, and my math was off. Bother did not turn 64. He turned 65.

Hey, well the cook turned out impressively wonderful. My only gripe? The quality of the roast from Costco (the boneless rib roast) was AWAFUL. Stringy, tough, full of gristle. Honestly had to be one of the worst quality pieces of meat I have ever used short of the crap I was sent by Omaha Steaks. The cook on it was near perfection. I was just so so disappointed in it. I truly felt ashamed at how bad it was. Though everyone raved about it, I knew it should have and could have been so much nicer. I think it was taken from an old bull that was "in the rut".
But on to the pork shoulder. I did that Texas style. (Meat, Smoke, Salt and Pepper) that is it. Honestly it was nothing shy of incredible. It ate like pig candy. It was literally almost sweet. IDK how that happened likely the smoke. I did not go nuts with it. I simply used the blend from Sam's Club (Smokehouse Oak, Maple, Hickory and Cherry). blend. I did not feel like going in back to the other garage for the Oak/Hickory blend.
In any case good deep smoke, incredibly tender and juicy. Just outstanding. Between the beef and the pork my brother said I was gonna put him in a meat coma :D Care packages all around. Which makes sense given I cooked 16 pounds of meat for only 7 adults :D
But yet again even though I used fresh pellets. When I went to bring temps up (trying to hit 450) the grill hit 395 and stalled. now to be totally fair it never went above 22 deg here and with a VERY stiff wind hitting from the left rear side and blowing right into the smoke vents in back. So IDK if the stall out at 395 was false readings or the icy wind.
It's just weird how it worked perfectly normal, until called upon to hit 450. And it simply "stalled"
I have a feeling though the actual temp may have been hotter as when I stuck the beef roast back in it sure did cook like it was hotter than the indicated temps.
Oh, and my math was off. Bother did not turn 64. He turned 65.
Probably the temperature & wind. I can hit 450 with my Traeger during the Summer but about 375 is tops when it's cold out, even with the same pellets.

Yeah, there were no error codes and the overall operation showed no distress of any kind. It just topped at 395 and stayed there. Still the overall cook was basically flawless so not really complaining. I used it last week with warmer temps and wind not getting into it and it went to 435 where I set it and held until I mistakenly ran it out of pellets

Bring your receipt with you the next time you go to Costco, they will refund you for your disappointment in the roast

Bring your receipt with you the next time you go to Costco, they will refund you for your disappointment in the roast
Honestly Chuck, that is something I could never bring myself to do. Call me weird, but it would feel like stealing. But, I get it. They stand behind it. And trust me I have no qualms about returning a faulty product. But in this case, I'd always wonder if I perhaps failed in the cook, did something wrong to cause the issue.
Honestly too, I think I should have looked at the roast more carefully, as once I cut into it I knew the issue. It was a first cut roast. The one by the chuck. And anyone who's followed my "escapades" with my smokers knows my track record with chuck roasts :D I've thrown too many away to try again. I should have selected one of the smaller ones that were from further down the cut. Away from the chuck.
But, when I decided to buy it, I needed an 8lb one, hadn't thought at that point I was going to make a pork shoulder, so in my cart it went without careful scrutiny.
Next time, I will look more carefully and slice it thinner at dinner :D

Back