Big Bird

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
I spotted this fellow when I was driving home yesterday afternoon. We're not too far from a halfway decent river and it's not uncommon to see eagles in the area every so often; last year there was one that fed on a roadkill raccoon just up the road and I saw it for several days in a row. This one's crown was transitioning from brown to white so it's probably still pretty young.

IMG950292.jpg

IMG950293.jpg

That's awesome. We were fishing the Pitt River arm of Shasta lake, we had just gotten over a decent size bait ball and we were reeling in several bass all about 2 LBS. We were just tossing them in the bottom of the boat while fishing the ball when an Eagle flew down and snagged a fish out of the boat. I swear, his wings went from one side to the other of the boat when he made the snag, the boat is 8' wide *yikes*

I spotted this fellow when I was driving home yesterday afternoon. We're not too far from a halfway decent river and it's not uncommon to see eagles in the area every so often; last year there was one that fed on a roadkill raccoon just up the road and I saw it for several days in a row. This one's crown was transitioning from brown to white so it's probably still pretty young.

View attachment 40935

View attachment 40936
From your title I thought it might be yellow!

Yeah we see them here being so close to the Kishwaukee River and it being so clean and all. It's funny though with people on the NextDoor App. They whine and moan about them, the foxes, the coyotes and basically all the wildlife. Geez people, if ya don't like them why did you move here?! Or better yet Go Away! :D

Seeing an eagle is on my list; some have been spotted nearby over the past few years and my Son saw one a couple weeks ago... getting close to home :)

I got to see an eagle catch a fish a couple of years ago..... pretty amazing animals. There are quite a few that live in the river bluff north of St. Louis.... I don't think the care too much about water quality, they just like to have someplace to catch fish and whatnot.... We have some owls that live in my neighborhood and they're fun to look watch. The like to eat rabbits, and the occasional squirrel or chipmunk that's too slow to get away. They really seem to keep the rabbit population under control

We seem to get a lot of Red Tailed Hawks here. There's one that shares the neighborhood with an owl. All amazing creatures.

We have a few who nest along Rt 25 on The Fox river.
A lot of bird lovers with cameras and binoculars along the trail.

Here in Sonoma, we have red tails as well. Just beautiful.

HOWEVER … the thread mentioned big bird. I couldn’t resist….. my bad!

1637614815900.jpeg

About six miles from us is Lynx Lake and bald eagles nest along the lake so in the summer they close down the trails on one side of the lake so the birds are not disturbed. There is a restaurant that overlooks the lake back by the dam. We go there for breakfast a few times a year to watch the eagles fishing over the lake, amazingly beautiful site to see.

Back