Better Red, than Dead....

Pete in PG

TVWBB Pro
Well, this was a GOOD find, but she definitely had been ridden hard and put away wet several times. I seriously doubt anyone ever cleaned up this grill in the past 40 years. The accumulation of carbon and baked on grease was more than I'd seen. I got about 90% of it off using oven cleaner, a plastic putty knife and industrial scrubbing pads and a lot of elbow grease.

The original legs were not in the right sockets - how could that be? And, they were really fixed in place!! I used WD-40, PB Blaster and finally my propane torch and channel locks to finally work them free. The aluminum had oxidized with the sockets and frozen them in place; two of the legs were in really bad shape so I decided a new leg kit must be used.

I drilled out the dampers and Weber sent me a kit for the bottom section and I cleaned up the old Bar B Q damper up top. Like others, I used a bucket of hot water and dish detergent along with steel wool 0000 to buff up the outside.

All said and done, she looks pretty darn good and I am glad to have put her back in service.

Here she is all cleaned up!

mrnn.jpg

h1ro.jpg

mdqa.jpg

A couple before shots....

ci86.jpg

0drh.jpg

acdg.jpg

Very nice work on the red-head Pete!! That's at the top of my hunt list for sure :D

Are you still on the hunt for a 3 wheeler?? I "THINK" this might be one (Multiple baffle fins?) and its a lot closer to you than me:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/4184129024.html

Good Luck!

Thanks Matt; that is a nice one too... can't see the handles and from the tabs underneath it, I'm sure it's a 3 wheeler. A bit too far for me as OC is really LA and that's some 300+ miles south.

I did find another 3 wheeler on CL in our area, but the guy selling it has been flaky. I've sent him emails with my phone no. to make an appt to see it and he emails back but never gives me a phone no. or a phone call. They pop up occasionally.... just have to be persistent and ready to grab it when they show up.

Nicely done Pete, great buy and great restore. Good to see that this one is now in the hands of a good man....now....let's see it in action!

Back