Best Pipe Dope for Propane

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Which of these two Pipe Thread compounds is best to use for propane connections? They both say they are OK for gas fittings. Which is best or preferred?

LMthHQx.jpg

Jon, I am sure you are right. I am in the middle of a project and I have to pick one. I think I will just go with the Tplus2. But, I think in reality, since they are both rated for LP gas, it really doesn't matter.

Thanks. I just realized I don't have the fittings I need and will have to postpone this little project. But, I will probably do the yellow #5 when I can. Seems to be more popular for propane than the Tplus2 from what I have read around the internet.

Dont know it theres a best, but ive used the yellow #5 on many things , fuel fittings included. No issues.

Last edited:
I use them both. Not really sure the difference. But, like I have indicated I use tape on larger connections and the dope on smaller. I had 2 of my friends in Europe (one in the UK and one in Switzerland) both licensed for gas fitting tell me this is the preferred method. So I have always stuck with it. Nothing has blown up yet :D

I use them both. Not really sure the difference. But, like I have indicated I use tape on larger connections and the dope on smaller. I had 2 of my friends in Europe (one in the UK and one in Switzerland) both licensed for gas fitting tell me this is the preferred method. So I have always stuck with it. Nothing has blown up yet :D

Larry,
What diameter would be the point you would switch to tape? I have about finished the Lazy Man grill I am doing for a friend. The propane tank and regulator are outside and a line goes through the wall and then connects to the manifold. I haven’t measured it, but it looks big enough to me to consider tape. It appeared that is what was done originally.

Last edited:
I was told 3/8" and under use dope and 3/8" and above PTFE Yellow thread tape. When I do 3/8" I just use whatever is at hand LOL

Back