Best Drill to Remove Rivets??

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
I bought my WSM 18" Classic new in the year 2008 and it is now time to remove and replace the four(4) Daisy Wheels that are Riveted. I recently had my portable battery powered drill stolen; so, I plan on buying a new one on Amazon.Com with a one hundred($100) dollar Budget and your recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

I like the Porter Cable, Makita, and Black & Decker and have had several other brands over the years. The Makita and PC last the longest but cost the most. I would stay away from the non-mainstream brands. Having at least 2 speeds is nice as is a 1/2" chuck if you sometimes use bigger drill bits. I have a 12 V Makita with a 1/2" chuck and it handles my wood, metal, and driver needs. I have a 25 yr. old corded Porter Cable hammer drill for masonry. If you want to spend the whole $100 this looks good. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW4Z4K3/?tag=tvwb-20

I've never had a Dewalt drill but I have several of their woodworking tools and they give me great service. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ET5VMTU/?tag=tvwb-20

Hope that helps.

I have a Ryobi from Home depot, the one that the batteries can be used in multiple tools, it has done everything a cordless drill can do and they're not expensive. Is it the best? I doubt it, but it works

I like the Porter Cable, Makita, and Black & Decker and have had several other brands over the years. The Makita and PC last the longest but cost the most. I would stay away from the non-mainstream brands. Having at least 2 speeds is nice as is a 1/2" chuck if you sometimes use bigger drill bits. I have a 12 V Makita with a 1/2" chuck and it handles my wood, metal, and driver needs. I have a 25 yr. old corded Porter Cable hammer drill for masonry. If you want to spend the whole $100 this looks good. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW4Z4K3/?tag=tvwb-20

I've never had a Dewalt drill but I have several of their woodworking tools and they give me great service. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ET5VMTU/?tag=tvwb-20

Hope that helps.
Lew: Thanx for the excellent advice!

Would a Dremel Rotary Tool be a better option than a Battery Drill in removing the Rivets?

A drill and a bit the same diameter as the rivet is the best and fastest way.
And trust me I removed a lot of rivets on jobs. even SS ones.

Tim

A drill and a bit the same diameter as the rivet is the best and fastest way.
And trust me I removed a lot of rivets on jobs. even SS ones.

Tim
Great advice. The only thing I can add is it's also the easiest to control for us amateurs. I've only drilled out rivets a couple of times.

Would a Dremel Rotary Tool be a better option than a Battery Drill in removing the Rivets?
Are you thinking about grinding off the heads and then punching the rivets out? That would be my first choice as there's less of a chance of damaging the holes in the bowl or lid, provided the rivets come out easily.

Are you thinking about grinding off the heads and then punching the rivets out? That would be my first choice as there's less of a chance of damaging the holes in the bowl or lid, provided the rivets come out easily.
Brad: That is exactly my thinking but will have little use for a rotary tool after removing these Rivets from the WSM. For this reason I will probably go with another Battery Drill.

Thanx to you and all the other Forum Members that replied to my request!

Just something to ponder...

When replacing aircraft skins, rivets must be removed.
The rivet heads are never ground off but rather drilled out.
Less damage to the very expensive aircraft aluminum skins.

I just got my old drill and bit that I had and used a starter punch. Easily removed the rivets to my old used 18 WSM with no problem.

I like makita drills I have at home, but I'm going to suggest a Dewalt cordless drill.

First off, anything up near 100 is gunna be good and get the job done, but in my job experience we've had Milwaukee's and Dewalt's etc..., and the batteries on Dewalt's just last longer over time. Haven't had my makitas long enough to tell you how long those last.

Just something to ponder...

When replacing aircraft skins, rivets must be removed.
The rivet heads are never ground off but rather drilled out.
Less damage to the very expensive aircraft aluminum skins.

True. There are special drill bits designed to drill out blind/pop rivets. For this task OP should buy this rivet removal tool and then pick up the cheapest corded drill he can find on eBay.

Back