Best commercial Pork Butt Rubs

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
My son is getting into smoking and starting with pork butts. Anyone have any recommendations for commercial runs? Thanks!

Store bought? Weber and McCormick and famous dave's are good.
A Butt rub for jane is a great homemade one.

Tim

Very generic, but an excellent place to start.

Bad Byron's Butt Rub

That's what I've been using starting out. You're probably going to want to cut it with some brown sugar on smaller items as the salt content is pretty high, but on the bigger items like pork butt it doesn't seem to matter as much. It's super cheap at Costco if you have access to it.

I use Chris Lilly's rub and inject but sometimes I mix up a jar of Harry Soo's Slap Yo Daddy All Purpose rub and the family likes that just as much. You can get Harry's rubs online. Amazon carries them.

This also is not store bought, but it is easy to make and a good one for kids.

Chocolate Cumin Spice Rub

2 TB. unsweetened cocoa
2 TB ground cumin
2 TB freshly ground black pepper
1 TB ground allspice
1 TB sea salt

Source: "1,001 Best Grilling Recipes" Rick Browne

This also is not store bought, but it is easy to make and a good one for kids.

Chocolate Cumin Spice Rub

2 TB. unsweetened cocoa
2 TB ground cumin
2 TB freshly ground black pepper
1 TB ground allspice
1 TB sea salt

Source: "1,001 Best Grilling Recipes" Rick Browne
I came up with a variation of that cocoa rub years ago.
Honestly, I think most commercial rubs are mostly salt and cayenne they generally lack much depth of flavor, salt and hot and, that’s about it. Make your own, if you have a set of measuring spoons and a jar.
Sorry, but the wing rub from Owens (gift when I bought the Vortex) is just salty and over cayenne for me. (Sorry, Marty)
Same for the Harry Soo slap yo mama (sorry, Harry) these are award winning rubs but, they don’t have any kind of flavor nuance, most of the commercial rubs are mostly the same. Now, while I have no aversion to heat and salt, it’s just not that interesting to me, nor for most of my family. I want more “flavor spectrum”, I want sweet, salty, acid and something with more dimension.
I am doing some ribs tomorrow and I find I am out of the rub that member TonyUK and I developed from across the Atlantic Ocean thanks to this site! I think I might see if I have the ingredients on hand still.
Equal parts
Tandoori seasoning and brown sugar!
It has more flavor than the “big boys” stuff but, probably would not work for competition. Reasons have been discussed ad nauseum and can be found with a search.
Comps want a baseline, so they all understand salt and capsicum. Not to be disparaging but, I want more than that.

Suggest looking over the rubs provided by Simply Marvelous
Big Poppa Smokers carries them as well as others and their own brand.
I think Amazon carries Simply Marvelous too

Back