Behemoth butt! 17 hrs!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well I’m very glad that something told me to start this mammoth 12 pound butt last night! Removed after a little over 17 hours, probes very nicely, sorry got it in foil and towels before I thought about it! I will try to remember some shots before and after pulling!
Now, starting to sort out what sides need early prep. Little potatoes for crushing have just been boiled and lavishly buttered, I’ll prep broccoli in a little while. Fire off the Vortex for some wings later. Not doing any sausages this week, I forgot to get any out!
Set up was perfect, not any major issues at all. A couple of dozen fresh coals at 05:00 repeated at about 10:00, the residual fire is heating a water tray to clean the rack.
Just ready to go on...
83322017-39FA-4ECC-8917-C9FFF0BBF0DF.jpeg
Cleaning mode...
01DFBE07-9A7E-42CE-8930-CE865971C4BE.jpeg
Lighting up process...A80B6736-DFEF-4702-AB13-11D50ABFCF20.jpeg

Timothy, where did you get that cleaning accessory? Looks interesting.
My brother in law made it up for me for Christmas several years ago. Aluminum Hot water heater pan (couldn’t find a steel one) that he put a drain in and an eye bolt to hang it up, to be honest, it’s doesn't really need the drain. It just leaks anyway.
If you have decent residual heat, I shoot some dish soap in there and put maybe an inch of water in it and let it soak for a while. Today it was maybe an hour. I have an old cowboy coffee pot (chuck wagon size) and I just fill that from the tap and pour it in, the pouring of the water raises some decent bubble action, then a light brushing and rinse. I let mine dry hanging on the back side of the windscreen. It’s also kind of nice to let the lid sit in the pan for ten or fifteen minutes and wipe that down to save a little of the frustrating “smoke seal” between lid and center section.
The bucket in the foreground is a place to store some smoking related equipment, I have extra nitrile gloves, my thermometer, skewers, pig tail flippers(yet unused), etc. I find it is a good size to sit on when adding late night fuel. It saves my aging back some strain! Proper seat lid is on another bucket, that will change when I do some garage cleaning. Getting old ain’t for the faint of heart!

I've got the same grate cleaning accessory, only mine is plastic. I did the same thing with the PVC plug.

My brother in law made it up for me for Christmas several years ago. Aluminum Hot water heater pan (couldn’t find a steel one) that he put a drain in and an eye bolt to hang it up, to be honest, it’s doesn't really need the drain. It just leaks anyway.
If you have decent residual heat, I shoot some dish soap in there and put maybe an inch of water in it and let it soak for a while. Today it was maybe an hour. I have an old cowboy coffee pot (chuck wagon size) and I just fill that from the tap and pour it in, the pouring of the water raises some decent bubble action, then a light brushing and rinse. I let mine dry hanging on the back side of the windscreen. It’s also kind of nice to let the lid sit in the pan for ten or fifteen minutes and wipe that down to save a little of the frustrating “smoke seal” between lid and center section.
The bucket in the foreground is a place to store some smoking related equipment, I have extra nitrile gloves, my thermometer, skewers, pig tail flippers(yet unused), etc. I find it is a good size to sit on when adding late night fuel. It saves my aging back some strain! Proper seat lid is on another bucket, that will change when I do some garage cleaning. Getting old ain’t for the faint of heart!
Genius! That's a nice set-up that definitely falls into the the "why didn't I think of that?" category.

Back