Before and after: Stainless Steel Platinum

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I finished my Franken Grill and wanted to post some pictures since it is somewhat unique. It has the frame and wheels from a Stainless steel Platinum grill. The side tables and swing tables and end handles are from a 2005 Summit, the wire rack in the base is from a Gold C, the lid is from a Genesis 1000, and the lid handle is from a Silver A. I also added three new SS cross members to the frame for stability and strength since I removed the original cabinet from the grill.

cr8ANx4.jpg

avwj1vu.jpg

2nVQhsU.jpg

HSZFS0w.jpg

BE72tEo.jpg

RoO2q7o.jpg

eMqsSPA.jpg

Yah, it is kind a Franken Grill, but all the parts are quality and overall this grill will be around longer than a lot of us.

This is what I love about these Weber. Very much interchangeable with parts over years and years.
Here is my Frankengrill.
At least parts of 3 grills in there.
pnBQjhHaj

And by the way are these the marbled grey tables from a Summit? I have a set too and I am thinking of putting them on my Frankengrill.

Yes, the tables on my franken grill are from a 2005 Summit. The ones that came with the platinum were trashed.

Bruce were the inside back panel and sides trashed on this grill is that why you remove them.

Also How do you fix the sagging left shelf which is common on this model.

Samuel: Yes, the sides and back were trashed. I have had three of the SS PLatinum grills and they were all the same.

You can drill a hole and run a self tapping bolt into the frame extension to hold it in place. Otherwise, if you can reweld it, that would be nice.

Samuel, it would be essentially the same as the "HOW TO" on replacing the cook box cross member. You just have to source the Stainless steel square tubing and use the inserts. Unless you can can find someone to weld them in for you.

If you go to the sticky thread, it has all the stickies and a link to all the HOW TO threads.

Well that is only partially true. Within similar years, many parts can be swapped, but newer models often do not. Do your homework before you grab a “parts” grill!

Jon is correct. Many parts are interchangeable. Especially on the older grills. The grill built after 2006 are more unique to their generation. If you have specific questions about specific parts, you can post up on this forum and someone will be able to lead you down the right path.

That cookbox is super clean! Is it new or sandblasted? I use the wire cup on a grinder but it doesn’t look like that after! I am doing a similar build by putting a Platinum frame on a Genesis Silver C.

Jon is correct. Many parts are interchangeable. Especially on the older grills. The grill built after 2006 are more unique to their generation. If you have specific questions about specific parts, you can post up on this forum and someone will be able to lead you down the right path.
yelp very nice job i really like the side trays i wish i did not see them i need to find some, super cool

Back