Beer.

I had the All Day IPA.

It's pretty good. Not among my favorites, but I could get it again. It was canned on 8/02, and I have the 15 pack.

I thought IPAs and Session Ales were different? Why does it say IPA in the name, but session ale in the description?

I had the All Day IPA.

It's pretty good. Not among my favorites, but I could get it again. It was canned on 8/02, and I have the 15 pack.

I thought IPAs and Session Ales were different? Why does it say IPA in the name, but session ale in the description?

You may be confusing " session " with " Saisson " .

Saisson is French for Farmhouse Ale :) , or sort've , anyway. Both are about the same style. Boulevard uses a different yeast on their Tank 7 farmhouse ale, Brettanomyces , to brew Saisson Brett. Makes a Tank 7 on steroids. A saisson could also be a Belgian farmhouse ale.

A session beer, is a low ABV beer. Ya know, so you can have a drinking " session " , without getting too drunk to walk. I like session beers when I'm smoking meats, especially when I'm running my stick burner. I can have a few on a long cook, and still function.

But I could be wrong.

You may be confusing " session " with " Saisson " .

Saisson is French for Farmhouse Ale :) , or sort've , anyway. Both are about the same style. Boulevard uses a different yeast on their Tank 7 farmhouse ale, Brettanomyces , to brew Saisson Brett. Makes a Tank 7 on steroids. A saisson could also be a Belgian farmhouse ale.

A session beer, is a low ABV beer. Ya know, so you can have a drinking " session " , without getting too drunk to walk. I like session beers when I'm smoking meats, especially when I'm running my stick burner. I can have a few on a long cook, and still function.

But I could be wrong.

Thanks. I thought an IPA had to have a minimum ABV? I thought around 6, just from observation.

Wow, this says it can go as low as 4.5%.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/150/

Makes sense about session ale. The other times I had them, they were all in the 4% range.

Thanks. I thought an IPA had to have a minimum ABV? I thought around 6, just from observation.

Wow, this says it can go as low as 4.5%.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/styles/150/

Makes sense about session ale. The other times I had them, they were all in the 4% range.

ABV doesn't come from hops, its from the malts or the grain. They contain sugars that are broken down to alcohol in the fermenting process. So higher ABV beers are gonna have more malt/grain. That's why Imperial Stouts are usually + 10% ABV.

At least that's the way its been told to me. I'm sure one of the homebrewers here can correct me or add to that .

That's pretty accurate, Lynn.

Beer styles & classes frequently overlap, and and there's usually room for spirited discussion. A recipe can be entered in a number of different classes in competition simultaneously, as long as the brewer has bottled enough for judging in each class.

I gotta go dump the oak cubes in the bourbon today (sterilizing, cleanliness, dontchaknow,) I've got a poor man's bourbon barrel porter ready to go into secondary fermentation tomorrow, and keg up a cream ale tomorrow. I'll have 4 taps running on my kegerator for the first time in a long time.

There was a beer sale at Earth fare this weekend, so I got a sixer of Arrogant Bas**** ale.
I'm not worthy, but it sure is tasty!

I've been liking the All Day IPA more, for those long day or nights.

- - - Updated - - -

ABV doesn't come from hops, its from the malts or the grain. They contain sugars that are broken down to alcohol in the fermenting process. So higher ABV beers are gonna have more malt/grain. That's why Imperial Stouts are usually + 10% ABV.

At least that's the way its been told to me. I'm sure one of the homebrewers here can correct me or add to that .

Thanks, makes sense. I've always wondered how they got the ABV so high.

I've been liking the All Day IPA more, for those long day or nights.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, makes sense. I've always wondered how they got the ABV so high.

You can also bump up the abv by adding corn sugar to the mash which gives the beer a drier taste. But yes more grain more alcohol which also means more money.

You can also bump up the abv by adding corn sugar to the mash which gives the beer a drier taste. But yes more grain more alcohol which also means more money.

And why those beers are usually more expensive. The ingredients cost more and they don't make large production runs, especially if the beer is barrel aged. Which limits supply and drives up price.

But dang , they're really delicious :D

I need to start brewing again this fall. It has been too long with the grill and bicycle restoration going in parallel. Although being from German I fell in love with IPAs when I moved to US. Founders All Day IPA is not bad and more on lighter side. My favorite go-to beer is actually the Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale. Better than many IPAs.
But nothing beats the Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada. It is almost that time of year again.

It is not the corn syrup which gives it a dryer taste. It is the mesh temperature and types of grain and yeast used. And also the lagering environment. Some of the larger US breweries use corn syrp in their bland and horrible lagers. Mainly because it is cheaper. And these lagers are anything but dry.
I have a great recipe for a dry Pils and will brew that again in the next few weeks. I just need the weather to cool down a bit more here in Texas.

Stefan, if you have the opportunity, try Sweet Child O' Vine from Fulton here in the Twin Cities, it's another outstanding example of an IPA.

I used to think I knew what a dry cider was, then I had the opportunity to sample what the English consider dry ciders at the Great British Beer Festival a few years back. Holy cow....

Tonight's haul:

41323187_10212824623592313_6507686789942083584_o.jpg

It is not the corn syrup which gives it a dryer taste. It is the mesh temperature and types of grain and yeast used. And also the lagering environment. Some of the larger US breweries use corn syrp in their bland and horrible lagers. Mainly because it is cheaper. And these lagers are anything but dry.
I have a great recipe for a dry Pils and will brew that again in the next few weeks. I just need the weather to cool down a bit more here in Texas.

I did not say corn syrup I said corn sugar and that usually goes in the boil not mash and it does dry out or thin the beers taste. You are correct in that higher mash temps do give the beer a dryer taste as well.
IF any of you guys get the opportunity to try Pliny the elder grab it. Best IPA ive ever had... my fav staple if im buying is Bells two hearted.

Last edited:
I have the following home brew on tap:

1 Irish Stout
1 Coffee Stout
2 kegs of Oktoberfest Lager
1 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone
3 variations of a Light Ale (4.2%)

PROSIT!

Back