Beer.

My latest favorite is my own home brew. Its nice to be able to brew the beer you like and enjoy.

I just bought a 6 pak of this beer from Oskar Blues , never cracked one open, and it sounded interesting to me and its not hops driven .......

beer-2-1.png

https://www.oskarblues.com/beer/beerito/

My latest favorite is my own home brew. Its nice to be able to brew the beer you like and enjoy.

I came close to becoming a home brewer a few years ago. I studied it, went to a seminar on home brewing, bought a book, and decided I would spend too much time making sure my gear was absolutely clean.

And I could see, just like barbecue, that I could end up spending a lot of money on equipment to help make my beers just a little better.

In the end, even though she enjoys a good craft beer as much as I, Mrs Dollar would not sign off on it, and unless I could get her to buy-in I knew it would be uphill sledding. Which is unlike my barbecue, she's totally in, she enjoys it as much as I do.

On a 15 pak, it will be on the carton, usually in a corner. If its a six pak of cans, it will be on the bottom of the can. If the beer is in a bottle, it will be printed on the bottle somewhere, it can vary.

Most brewers that sell 12 or 15 paks in cardboard cartons, will print it somewhere on the outside. But some don't. I've never found a date on a Stone IPA 12 pak, I take my chances and find out after I get home and look at the bottom of the can. But with Stone Brewing, I've never been disappointed. They are very conscience of their product not being fresh.

Oskar Blues is one of the original craft brewers in Colorado, which is a state filled with great craft breweries. Probably more brewers there than any other state, cept maybe Oregon. They make a great Imperial Stout called Ten Fidy, that can also be found barrel aged.

BTW, refrigeration will delay the degradation of the hops. But few beers are refrigerated from the fermenter tank to the package store shelf for most states. It varies with the distribution system in each state.

I tried Dale's Pale Ale yesterday. A 19 oz can, canned on 7/02/2018.

It was ok. I could have it again, but I wouldn't seek it out.

I got on a Corona kick late last year. I told a few different groups of friends "I'm bringing Corona back!" as I handed them a bottle & lime wedge.

Probably a buzzkill but a few of my friends are trying to quit drinking, which made it easier for me to not drink last Sunday (& last night).

I tried Dale's Pale Ale yesterday. A 19 oz can, canned on 7/02/2018.

It was ok. I could have it again, but I wouldn't seek it out.

Well, a whole lot of what craft beer is about, is trying new beers. That's the fun of it.

We had a craft beer bar here that has many taps and had a great manager. On the weekly pint night he would always have some new and interesting beer. We went every week ( and have a room full of glassware for it ) . He also had events that would introduce us to styles of beer that we would not have tried on our own.

But he took a job elsewhere and the new management was not nearly as good. We quit going. So nowadays, we don't drink many new beers, we settle in on the same beers and try to get them a good price.

Well, a whole lot of what craft beer is about, is trying new beers. That's the fun of it.

We had a craft beer bar here that has many taps and had a great manager. On the weekly pint night he would always have some new and interesting beer. We went every week ( and have a room full of glassware for it ) . He also had events that would introduce us to styles of beer that we would not have tried on our own.

But he took a job elsewhere and the new management was not nearly as good. We quit going. So nowadays, we don't drink many new beers, we settle in on the same beers and try to get them a good price.

Agree. That's why I'm trying some of the suggestions in this thread.

I came close to becoming a home brewer a few years ago. I studied it, went to a seminar on home brewing, bought a book, and decided I would spend too much time making sure my gear was absolutely clean.

And I could see, just like barbecue, that I could end up spending a lot of money on equipment to help make my beers just a little better.

In the end, even though she enjoys a good craft beer as much as I, Mrs Dollar would not sign off on it, and unless I could get her to buy-in I knew it would be uphill sledding. Which is unlike my barbecue, she's totally in, she enjoys it as much as I do.

In brewing, yes, CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! And if there's one secret.... clean quickly. As soon as you empty something clean it. As in NOW. Don't let it dry. Don't even let it get sticky. If you stick to that, clean-up is pretty simple.

I have the luxury of living with an enabler, who set me up with my first set of equipment, and still takes a healthy sniff over the boil... "that smells GOOD...."

I did my set up on the cheap. 90% came from craigslist. Equipment turnover is pretty crazy. Have been brewing for a couple years now. Its a lot of fun and ive found ways to break up the process so its not a 6 or 8 hour day all at once. I will admit though if you dont like cleaning stuff this hobby isnt for you.

I did my set up on the cheap. 90% came from craigslist. Equipment turnover is pretty crazy. Have been brewing for a couple years now. Its a lot of fun and ive found ways to break up the process so its not a 6 or 8 hour day all at once. I will admit though if you dont like cleaning stuff this hobby isnt for you.

I don't doubt that, at all. People jump in and then realize its not for them and try to recover their expense. I can see that happening.

Just like stick burners ;)

I'll have to check out the local CL, maybe some day, take the plunge.

Somebody has jumped into all grain...

Don't let anybody tell you that you can't make good beer from extracts, that's rubbish. All grain will give you another degree of control, but extracts have been so good for the last 10-20 years that you can make competition winning beers easily from extract. Extract brewing will cut out 2-3 hours of the brew process, FYI.

Even at the risk of being clowned on ...... I love Yuengling Light, but it is not sold here.
So ....... I drink Natty Light. By choice.

Never had a beer from there that I would order again. Not a fan. Blasphemy, I know.

Boulevard is one of my favorite brewers, I'll always have one of their beers in the fridge ............... right now I have Tank 7, Bourbon Barrel Quad, and Whiskey Barrel Stout. When its available I keep Saisson Brett.

BTW, the Oskar Blues Beerito was good, enjoyed the beer, would buy it again and probably will. It was malty. Color was amber, more like Dos Equis Dark.

Would be even better if they put it in 15 paks with a good price, as Founders does a few of their beers like All Day IPA and Centennial IPA.

Back