Beer Brats

I think the moral of this thread is......eat brats! :)

I'll have to try grill then simmer, too, just to see if it's any better/different than simmer then grill.....or, maybe I'll just be lazy and keep doing it the simmer/grill method, since that works for me.

R

This may have been mentioned in some of the links posted above, but definitely keep the beer temperature low enough so the casings don't split.

grill brats.
folks that boil brats should have their teeth removed by a large hard fist.

you grill the brat (and as Brad just mentioned above, low (or indirect) temps to keep the casting intact).
THEN, if you like... a beer, onion, peppers, BBQ sauce bath. NO KETCHUP (or catsup) and ABSOLUTELY NO WATER!

if you can't do this, eet hot dogs. Anyway your heart desires.

Jim;
I flat out LOVE doing brats as I have illustrated above! The brat flavors the kraut and vice/versa. You can then use the kraut on the sandwich or, as I often do, eat the brat without bread and use kraut for a side dish. I very often choose to have mashed potatoes and cover the potatoes with the now brat flavored kraut. Try it, you'll like it, I guarantee!:p

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Jim;
I flat out LOVE doing brats as I have illustrated above! The brat flavors the kraut and vice/versa. You can then use the kraut on the sandwich or, as I often do, eat the brat without bread and use kraut for a side dish. I very often choose to have mashed potatoes and cover the potatoes with the now brat flavored kraut. Try it, you'll like it, I guarantee!:p

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:
all sounds very good Robert, if you like kraut...

Total noob question, but do you guys have any preferred method for doing peppers and onions on the grill? On their own, not in a pan with other things as shown on the last page, that is. The best store-bought brats I've ever had here are a pre-cooked variety, so they only take a few minutes. I'd love to do the veggies on the grill as well instead of having one thing going inside and one outside, but I haven't grilled those up before. What would you suggest as far as timing / temp and making sure everything comes out all right?

I do them right on the grill Tony Soprano style. I buy regular old bell peppers and really good Italian sausage. I make a bed of the peppers and onions and grill the sausages right on top. Works with either patties or in casing. You need REALLY well made thick bar tight spaced grates or a Weber Q grill to pull it off. I have a few posts on the forum somewhere with photos. Suffice to say it's one of my favorite things to do. I then use that in hard crusty Italian rolls for sausage, pepper and onion sandwiches.

Total noob question, but do you guys have any preferred method for doing peppers and onions on the grill? On their own, not in a pan with other things as shown on the last page, that is. The best store-bought brats I've ever had here are a pre-cooked variety, so they only take a few minutes. I'd love to do the veggies on the grill as well instead of having one thing going inside and one outside, but I haven't grilled those up before. What would you suggest as far as timing / temp and making sure everything comes out all right?
I have just started cutting about halfway through the onion in four places like I was going to quarter it and wrapping it in foil like you would a baked potato. Cook it for like 30 minutes and you have yourself a blooming onion just not fried.

Like Timothy, I usually use a Weber grill basket. Or if I am using the Q I do them right on the grates as LMichaels does. I know the pic shows the grill pan on the Q but it was just there to keep them warm after coming off the Genesis. 😀

Attachments

• 5698D006-65C6-45BF-A6FC-016E4740D547.jpeg
    5698D006-65C6-45BF-A6FC-016E4740D547.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 3

Back