Beef Short Ribs.....

Scott M

TVWBB Fan
Finally getting around to posting my cook from Saturday. Was laid up sick since Saturday night till today with strep throat thanks to my 3 living petri dishes that harbor germs from school.

Just enough rain to be an annoyance and warrant the pop up to come out of the shed:

6B793AB9-E39B-4CE6-99D7-FA81C35AA4E8-12723-000010D1BAC6181A_zpse7f1b25f.jpg

Little bit a Wicked Good, little bit a Royal Oak and Pecan chunks:

7A38EAAC-C4E1-4F57-9AEB-D4609E4F5728-12723-000010D1B176AAFA_zpsbf6f1199.jpg

Auber ATC controlling things at a nice 250°:

E9F29197-337D-4F38-B21F-511D6EC7FD53-12723-000010D1A8706AA7_zpsa4b248a0.jpg

The rack on the top grate was already done sitting in my cooler. This rack is nearly done. Almost time to eat:

One rack cut and ready for consumption:

e6d3fc67-ae47-4d29-8037-b429166c45ee_zpsedd45b1c.jpg

Plated with Pepper Jack Mac 'n Cheese and Birds Nest Vegetable thingies from Trader Joe's:

4DB261B7-560D-40D4-B4FC-BEC9F8E7AFF2-12723-000010D18530CCA9_zps80b573ad.jpg

The ribs only had salt, pepper and garlic poweder and were awesome.
Very good beefy flavor.
Friends brought the Mac 'n Cheese which was modeled after the kind from Famous Daves. Had some chopped jalapenos and corn in it - real good.

Thanks for lookin'......

Last edited:
Short ribs look great!!! Get well soon. My father always told me take a double shot of tequila and then a shot of the juice of 3 limes and that should help with your throat. It worked for me.

great looking short ribs!!!! Getting every cold and flu going around school is something I surely don't miss!!

Beautiful beef ribs Scott!
I'll bet your neighbors were ready to scale that fence to chowdown withya!

Nice looking ribs, Scott. Where are you in Cherry Hill? I lived in Collingswood for three years, years and years ago.

Thanks everybody.
They really were a great addition to the meat cycle for BBQ'ing.
It was my first time making them but definitely won't be the last

Hey Scott, those ribs look great. How long were they on for?

They were on about 6 hours. Pulled them when they were between 185° and 190°

Nice looking ribs, Scott. Where are you in Cherry Hill? I lived in Collingswood for three years, years and years ago.

Right of Kings Hwy near Rt. 70.

Scott, those short ribs look nothing short of FANTASTIC!

If you've tried back ribs as well, how they compare for smoking? I was undecided between the two at RD last week and went with the back ribs. They were spoiled, though, so I will have to settle up with RD next time in Nashville and try to get some more.

Hope you get back to 100% real quick. The nurse in the doc's office this morning was telling me that this cold and flu season has been the worst she's ever seen for cold, flu, strep and upper respiratory related illnesses. I felt like telling her that you didn't have to be a nurse to know that!

Scott, those short ribs look nothing short of FANTASTIC!

If you've tried back ribs as well, how they compare for smoking? I was undecided between the two at RD last week and went with the back ribs. They were spoiled, though, so I will have to settle up with RD next time in Nashville and try to get some more.

Hope you get back to 100% real quick. The nurse in the doc's office this morning was telling me that this cold and flu season has been the worst she's ever seen for cold, flu, strep and upper respiratory related illnesses. I felt like telling her that you didn't have to be a nurse to know that!

Thanks Dave.
I have not had beef back ribs so I couldn't compare.
The best I can do is my wife said that they tasted very close to the Prime Rib Roast that I do on the WSM for Christmas every year.
They were a little more chewy than the Prime Rib (to be expected) but the taste was pretty close.

I never got strep as a kid and got it for the first time about 12 years ago. Now I get it every other winter just about.
I had 2 ear infections to go with it - meanwhile all 3 kids at the house are right as rain.
I'm sure one of them brought it in on their back pack or something.

Back