Beef Ribs

Did some Beef Ribs, about 4 hours @250 degrees. They came out real salty, not sure if I used too much rub or if I left them season too long (about 48hours). Rain came so i had to wait a day. Thanks for any input.

The meat was completely tender and fell off the bone, just too salty. Next time I'll get em right, first time doing ribs.

20130428_172114.jpg

I salt and pepper my ribs and let them sit while I get my smoker ready. I'm happy with the results.

I have never done short ribs. After watching a Steven Raichlen DVD on short ribs I made a trip to the grocery and picked up some nice ones.

It'll be a couple of days before I'll do them. I going to try Raichlen's "Five-Spice Shanghai Short Ribs with Shanghai Barbecue Sauce". I'll let you all know how they turn out (good or bad).

When I picked them up, I had to laugh. They were $6.95 a pound. When I was a kid (admittedly a LONG time ago) they practically GAVE them away. They were used almost exclusively for making soup. Just like chicken wings - they used to be used only for the stock pot. Now, they are a pricy delicacy, too!

To the original poster - those look REALLY good, my friend, REALLY good!
FWIW

Dale53

Jim, I'm going to say it was too much rub. I'm a believer in salting beef a day or 2 (or longer) in advance of cooking and as long as I don't use too much it doesn't come out salty.

Robert, for $6.95/lb I hope those ribs at least had some meat on them. Too often they're trimmed down to nothing!

Thank you for all comments. Looking at the label on the rub I used, full of MSG. I am gonna try the same rub in the salt free version next time.
saltfreebrisketrub.jpg

I agree, too long with the rub on. For beef, including brisket, I find that just some kosher salt, CBP, onion and garlic powder work just fine. Simple, cheap, and it works!

Back