Beef Rib Finger Meat

Gary S

TVWBB Guru
Lately I have been seeing this offered in cryovac packages around 2 lbs. It's boneless and it looks like back rib meat. I bought a package to try. I am curious about cook time and temp. It looks like it would be awesome for a marinade or a rub. Any suggestions. I normally cook my beef ribs over a water pan for 5-6 hours but I am thinking I would not need that much time for these.

never seen that my self but would guess they would cook a little faster. I usually go pretty simple with beef, salt and heavy on the pepper.

Gary, is the meat marbled mostly with fat or does it seem to have a fair amount of connective tissue? How big are the pieces? My first thought is that it might be good if chunked for kebabs or sliced thin for satays.

Gary,
I found this:
"Beef or Rib Finger meat is the meat located between the ribs or what remains on the roast once the ribs are removed. This cut is not found regularly at the grocery meat Counter. Popular ways of utilizing this cut is by threading them onto a skewer and cooking them on a bbq, or preparing them like tradition ribs by boiling and then roasting."

On this site.

I thought it was probably an American thing that we imported...eh?:rolleyes:

I've only seen them once or twice before. They look to be about 6 inches long and they are marbled. I haven't taken them out of the package yet but I will post some photos when I do and when I decide how I want to cook them.

Thanks Bob for the post, the description sounds about right. I would not have thought about putting them on a skewer. I like that idea.

IMG_1172.jpg
[/IMG]In living colour. I think they will need the normal rib method of cooking to render & tender. I am going to try the skewar method on them too
IMG_1173.jpg
[/IMG]

It must be that ribbon of meat attached to the rib roast after it's cut from the ribs, absolutely great beef. If I am right, it's separated by a ribbon of fat on the outside of the roast.

Last edited:
Gary my Costco sells something similar! Try a high heat sear with some simple S&P and garlic first! It's great stuff!

Thanks Morgan, I think we are having a wing and beer night tonight so maybe I will throw a couple of pieces on the kettle and see how it goes. I like simple seasonings too...maybe some Montreal Steak spice, gotta have garlic.

Well I have tried the rib finger meat. Did the sear the other night on 3 pieces. It was crispy on the outside, cooked but needed way more rendering.
Did the LNS at 250 for 3 hours. It was very good but still a little fattier than I would have liked. Went to four hours and it was there. So it's not that much different than cooking beef ribs. This meat has to render. It was really tasty and reminded me in some ways of burnt ends. You could do something similar with this cut of meat.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Back