Beef prices!!

JSaus

TVWBB All-Star
I was in the grocery store yesterday. Have not grilled lately because of the winter weather. I looked at the steak and beef prices in general and everything seemed to be up by $3-4/pound recently. Looks like a pork and chicken season.

Have not seen that here. In looking at stuff recently at Costco did not notice anything too awful.

I try not to look at the price lol, If im in the mood for something like a steak I just buy it but I dont eat alot of beef to begin with. During the lockdowns of 2020 I remember brisket prices hitting insane levels, however in my location not a lot of people bought them at those prices and the stores discounted them , prices are def higher than pre 2020

tsteak.jpg
13.98/lb

Last edited:
I am with Larry on Costco paid 15.99 lb for filets a few weeks ago choice not prime pretty much if I remember what it was before the pandemic. Ribeyes were 10.99 lb I think but the prices in the supermarket for any of these cuts is way above what Costco is charging.

I you have a Costco nearby its definitely worth the price of the membership, buy all my gas there and its generally 25-30 cents a gallon less anyone else. I am sure Bj's and Sam's are close but I don't have memberships there.

With Barb working at Safeway and buying meat on sale and with her employee discount we get some killer discounts. Plus, the butchers will make sure we get some great cuts too.
Our new 23cf freezer is full so we are set through the summer.
We do get some things like baby backs and spiral hams and briskets from Costco.

Came across Osso Bucco at Sam's the other day. Great price. 3 pieces in a pack. I bought 4 pacs. Might just make some tonight

Yea our area is still reasonable.
Bought some strips and delmonicos for 8 bucks a lb yesterday.
Hamburger and chuck roasts/ chuck-eye steaks were around 3.99 lb.

Hamburgers and steaks, already near record-level prices, are set to get more expensive.

The culprit is a rapidly shrinking supply of cattle. Years of persistent drought conditions, which make cattle more expensive to raise, pandemic disruptions and widespread cost increases have prompted ranchers to sell off livestock, bringing the number of cattle in the U.S. to its lowest level in nearly a decade. U.S. beef production is on track to drop by more than 2 billion pounds in 2024, the biggest annual decline since 1979, according to Agriculture Department data.

With costs rising for nearly every aspect of raising cattle, ranchers say they are running out of reasons to replace the livestock they send to slaughter, let alone enlarge their herds. “We’re spending $1 million to make $4,000,” said Ryan Stromberger, a rancher in southwest Nebraska just outside the city of Ogallala who also has two feedlots.

Hamburgers and steaks, already near record-level prices, are set to get more expensive.

The culprit is a rapidly shrinking supply of cattle. Years of persistent drought conditions, which make cattle more expensive to raise, pandemic disruptions and widespread cost increases have prompted ranchers to sell off livestock, bringing the number of cattle in the U.S. to its lowest level in nearly a decade. U.S. beef production is on track to drop by more than 2 billion pounds in 2024, the biggest annual decline since 1979, according to Agriculture Department data.

With costs rising for nearly every aspect of raising cattle, ranchers say they are running out of reasons to replace the livestock they send to slaughter, let alone enlarge their herds. “We’re spending $1 million to make $4,000,” said Ryan Stromberger, a rancher in southwest Nebraska just outside the city of Ogallala who also has two feedlots.

The monopoly of meat packers doesn't help either. I think I am going to make 30 min trip this week to visit a small family owned butcher shop that buys and sells local cattle and pork and see how their prices are. Even if they are as expsinve as the grocey store wouldm uch rather put my money in their pocket than a corporation

I paid $5.77 lb. for choice ribeye steaks from Albertson’s (Double R Ranch, a subsidiary of Snake River Farms) last week. This week it’s sirloin for $3.99 lb. and boneless check roast for $3.99 lb. Chicken is cheap here, too.

The monopoly of meat packers doesn't help either. I think I am going to make 30 min trip this week to visit a small family owned butcher shop that buys and sells local cattle and pork and see how their prices are. Even if they are as expsinve as the grocey store wouldm uch rather put my money in their pocket than a corporation
idk where in Ohio you live but i did a quick Craigslist search. you can buy cattle sides in bulk and processed. i have looked into this myself here in CA.

this one near Columbus, OH, is selling hanging weight at $5#. this is a good way to support a local rancher and butcher and you can select fore or aft hind quarters, or buy a whole side.

Back