Beef prices!!!

JSaus

TVWBB All-Star
Just got back from the store. Steaks were up $2-5/pound over what I paid a couple weeks ago. At those prices, I can take the wife out for dinner instead of grilling. Looks like pork and chicken until prices drop.

Yup. I'm right here in the middle of Alberta beef country but still, after the last trip to Costco, we're starting to think about what a marinated leather shoe is going to taste like, because I can't afford the beef here any more!

Been a lot more chicken and pork here too!

Last edited:
I hear you guys too.....Ontario here.
Started stocking up before it goes crazy.
New freezer on Friday, 100 pounds of ground beef, chicken, bacon, wings ect on Saturday.
Freezers are up 20% from 8 months ago and the meat is on its way up too.
Still have to get another 50 pounds of beef in before it's too late.

Not sure what your restaurants are like there JSAUS but I cannot afford to buy anything other than pizza around here.
We can go to a chain style restaurant which I don't like or even a " real " restaurant and we can burn $80 on 2 of us without any cocktails.
I can make a darn good meal for 4 of us and have left overs for work lunches for under $80 no problem.

I went in on a moo earlier this year.
I got a quarter and paid $ 4.28 lb. after processing.
I'm doing the same next year. They will be ready by April.

One can only fill the freezer(s) so much, we will have to pay it sometime.
Just trying to make it through until Spring here without buying more meat......
Problem is I eat all the good stuff first, so I will be left with 40 pounds of chicken breasts and ground beef.....:cry:
14 days until I can buy my beef, hope it's still okay.....even if it isn't I am going to fill the freezer up......a couple bucks up per pound now perhaps.
Like everything else I have to buy, it doesn't come back down......

Just got back from the store. Steaks were up $2-5/pound over what I paid a couple weeks ago. At those prices, I can take the wife out for dinner instead of grilling. Looks like pork and chicken until prices drop.

I've been on chicken and ground beef for the last several months. Prices dropped a bit about two weeks ago and we had a steak dinner - could've almost gone to Ruth's Chris for not much more money. I just decided I'm not buying into it, so chicken and ground beef, and the occasional pork, it is!

This is why we’re going hunting.

I drew an antelope, deer, and elk tag. GF drew antelope and deer. GF’s oldest boy drew antelope and deer. We will try a general elk tag for her for sure, maybe him as well. I may pick up another general deer or so depending.

We are planning on processing ourselves too. All for a total of under $300 in tags. May pack freezer with 1000+ lbs of good ol’ Wyoming meat

Went to Costco today. Looks like it is still going to be pork and chicken. Choice tenderloin was $22/pound and prime as several bucks higher. Other cuts were pushing $20. Wife and I went to Bandana's BBQ (mostly in Missouri) and ate a meal for $22 + tip for both of us. Yep, it was pork.

This is why we’re going hunting.

I drew an antelope, deer, and elk tag. GF drew antelope and deer. GF’s oldest boy drew antelope and deer. We will try a general elk tag for her for sure, maybe him as well. I may pick up another general deer or so depending.

We are planning on processing ourselves too. All for a total of under $300 in tags. May pack freezer with 1000+ lbs of good ol’ Wyoming meat
One of the best things I ever ate was some homemade deer jerky that a friend of mine gave me.

Went to Costco today. Looks like it is still going to be pork and chicken. Choice tenderloin was $22/pound and prime as several bucks higher. Other cuts were pushing $20. Wife and I went to Bandana's BBQ (mostly in Missouri) and ate a meal for $22 + tip for both of us. Yep, it was pork.
I just bought a whole Prime Strip Loin a couple days ago at Costco. IIRC only about $11lb. Higher than before sure. As I was paying as little as $7.50 lb for them but still VERY cost efficient IMO

With Barb working at Safeway and giving some of our homemade bacon to the butchers they take very good care of us. Not so much with prices which they can't change, but with the quality of the meat they package for Barb instead of the value pack you get what you get.
Of course Barbs employee discount helps a little.
Both of our freezers are full and with just the two of us were good until spring. Only plans for the holidays meat wise are a couple of bone in hams and a couple of 12-14 pound turkeys if we can find any. By the time they roll around I'll have room for them.

One of the best things I ever ate was some homemade deer jerky that a friend of mine gave me.
My stepdad made KILLER antelope jerky back in the day. He’s not around anymore to ask what he did. It’s been probably 30 years and I still remember it.

My cousin sent me this & asked if it was a good price.:oops::oops:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210917-062409_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210917-062409_Messages.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 23
Here’s another reason I moved to Idaho from the Seattle area. This is a common sale price for tri-tip. The marbling on the two I bought was exceptional. Now in my freezer to be smoked next week. BTW, Idaho (Boise) is the home of Albertson’s.
1634316074399.jpeg

Mark, I miss Albertson's. In my younger days I used to work for Hallmark and one of my duties was to take care of the card aisle at Albertson's in my neighborhood. Good, fun days.!!

Back