BBQ Restaurant Review section needs some improvement.

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
This is going to come across as selfish (and it totally is) but it's a major bummer to take pictures and go through the trouble to review a BBQ restaurant and then see the thread get bumped and lose all visibility for something like this:

"This is one good place to stop if you are in the Owego NY area good food great people never been disappointed
went to High School with Richie he love to BBQ

Jackpot Richie's
16 NY-96, Owego, NY 13827
Phone: (607) 624-6103"

The thread title is formatted wrong and there's minimal effort, poor grammar, etc. and he posted it the very next day. It actually has more views now than my post which is pretty much lost unless I bump it. I have no idea what the answer is because of forum software limitations, and wanting that forum alphabetized. There may not be a solution, but I just wanted to vent my frustration. It's happened to a lot of us that have posted reviews in that section. I can see Chris had a post earlier this month that probably suffered a similar fate, and it's a fantastic review, way more effort than mine.

I sympathize with your feelings on this, but not sure how to actually address it.

I can't dictate the amount of effort anyone puts into a post like this. They're more useful when there are more details, a URL, and some photos, and that's what I try to do with mine, but I understand not everyone is up for that.

I can't dictate people's grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. Not everyone operates at the same level, not everyone has the same writing skills, some people are typing with fat fingers on tiny smartphone keyboards (I personally know the pitfalls of this). I'm not going to take on cleaning up everyone's forum posts, although I cleaned up the one in question.

I have intentionally organized the forum alphabetically to make it a useful lookup tool for people wanting to find a BBQ restaurant in a city/state they are visiting. I've never really thought of these posts as something of interest to anyone in the moment they're posted. I understand that the way I'm doing it does not give your post visibility in the BBQ Restaurant Directory after you post it, as it may end up alphabetically on page 22 of 24 pages. But it is visible in the "What's New" view or the "New Posts" view for anyone that uses those views (I use "What's new" every time I visit the forum).

I am a stickler when it comes to the thread title format, as that's how posts are alphabetized. I check this subforum occasionally, looking for offenders and fixing them. If you ever notice one before me, click the "Report" link to let me know and I'll fix it.

To try to improve this, I will see if there's a way to feature the most recent threads at the top of the forum, with the alphabetical list following. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

I appreciate your feedback, Dustin. Thank you.

Best,
Chris

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I almost deleted it because it was kind of tacky of me to quote the other post. I wasn't really upset at him. It was when I realized my post was knocked off the very next day that I kind of childishly got upset and I just wanted to vent. I can't really think of a good solution either with what little experience I've had with forum software.

Maybe collapse all of the sub-regions per state into one for each state - as it is now, all you ever see on page one is Arizona.

At least with one entry for each state you can easily get to, say, Utah, on page two. Then if you click on Utah you then get all of the sub-regions.

just stirring the pot...

Not a bad idea for making city-based searches easier, but then it'd be a lot harder to find the latest posts.

When I check the forum the first thing I do is use the filters to change the sort from Alphabetical Ascending to Last Post Date Descending, unless I'm looking for a specific state and city.

With a few exceptions I'm usually disappointed at barbecue restaurants once I began making my own.

Restaurants are also hit or miss it depends on who's working, what time of day, and the phase of the moon. Sometime you get something that's great and you go back in the next time it's just blah. It's hard to cook for thousands of people and get it right every time. But how close they come routinely is the measure of a good place to me.

Back