BBQ Philosophy of An Old Codger

Originally posted by Lew Newby:

--Nice Post as I am a 69 1/2 years WSM Classic owner since the year 2008. I only do front-yard BBQ's for my family and friends as I do not have a back-yard here in Costa Rica. Last Sunday I cooked up some Beer Can Chickens for my Costa Rican Wife's family and they went nuts over the hickory smoke taste chicken turned out on my WSM Classic. Next month I plan on smoking some more chicken and maybe some BBQ Ribs for my wife's birthday. Take it slow and enjoying the WSM cooking experiences(sometimes not so good) is what it's all about.

Rick

In short I don’t feel that there is one absolutely right way to cook BBQ and one of the enjoyments of this addiction is trying new things and learning as I progress. For me it’s all about having fun with the process. I think I’m hooked.

Good post, Lew!

Like most of the rest of us I just sort of stumbled into this place. I bought a WSM because a lot of folks were doing well in comps with them. If people can win with WSMs why pay $$$ for something else?

I don't claim to be a good cook but the review s from friends and family are increasingly positive. That's mostly why I do it--to share with others.

Lew, late to the party, but I wanted to chime in with agreement. By the way, I think you're signature is the coolest on the board!
icon_cool.gif

Regarding how your philosophy translates to posts on bbq forums, I think a big reason that folks are so adamant about their bbq techniques is frustration with other folks that don't share their observations. Of course, often it's not about someone wanting to show they're "right", but just wanting to get their point across so someone else might learn something. The thing is, there are SO MANY variables that come into play in a cook in addition to personal tastes and perspectives. No matter how subjective taste and perspective might truly be, though, respect should always be given in both making and reading posts.
icon_smile.gif

Great post Lew!
I just turned 54 and the great thing about the BBQ is there is nothing written in stone ( besides proper handling and food safety) which I learned from reading on this board.
Like my sig says do whatever works for ya!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Amen brother. I have just begun smoking this year and have read many of the posts here. They have helped guide me to try different methods, but in the end it is my cook. Even a 'bad' cook tastes good low and slow. As long as we learn from our cooks and everyone fed is sated, what else matters?

Amen brother. I have just begun smoking this year and have read many of the posts here. They have helped guide me to try different methods, but in the end it is my cook. Even a 'bad' cook tastes good low and slow. As long as we learn from our cooks and everyone fed is sated, what else matters?

Whoops hit the trigger too soon. That's me too and I'm having fun and the family has never eaten better!!

Way to go Lew!!! Great post! You took the words right out about 90 percent of the folks on this board!!! Keep on doing what ur doing!!

Back