BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

Well, DH has marked some more. I think it is going to be really hard to just pick a few to make. They all sound so good.
Yesterday DH went right to the PORK section of the book and found last nights dinner. Glad he did, it was very good and I love onions!!! He marinated it for about 4 hrs. Some of the directions I cut short.

Russian Onion and Pork Kebabs

1 1/2 lbs. pork shoulder, cut into 1" cubes
1 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 large white onion, peeled and quartered
Russian-style black bread, for serving

1. Place cubes in bowl and sprinkle salt, coriander and pepper over them. Stir well.
2. Grate the onion over them. Stir. Marinate 2 hrs. or overnight.
3. Drain pork well and thread pork onto skewers. Discard marinade.
4. Set grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
5. Arrange kebabs on hot grate and grill until pork is sizzling, nicely browned on all sides and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side, 8 to 12 minutes in all. Slide pork onto platter. Serves 4

Source: "Planet Barbecue" S. Raichlen 2010

Does anyone collect bbq cookbooks just for the historical aspect? (I apologize if this question has already been answered). I buy vintage outdoor cookbooks not specifically for the recipes but for the grills pictured and illustrations contained in the book. The reason is to be able to date the different makes and models of vintage bbq grills that come up for sale. There is also other valuable regional cooking styles that can be documented by reading old cookbooks. Vintage bbq menus, postcards and matchbooks also record the foodways of the past.
Thanks Ed

Hi Ed, glad to know you do that. I buy cookbooks for the recipes and for certain authors. A lot of them do have regional cooking style recipes, like Raichlens one I am using now, and many others. I do have a lot of oriental books, Mexican, Europe, and many more. And they don't have to be "old". ;)

This may be a WEBER site, but what good is a grill if you don't cook on it? ;)

Last edited:
Joan,
Thanks for the quick response.

I do collect both vintage outdoor cookbooks and vintage bbq grills. All my current outdoor cooking is done on modern grills- mostly Weber’s. There is a plan to cook and film using the vintage grills and period correct cookbooks. Firing up a 1956 Weber Kettle using 1956 Weber pamphlet with the corresponding recipes- or 1940’s Cook N Kettle with the 1940’s Cook N Kettle recipes. Hopefully matching the period grill utensils and apron.

I find it interesting to compare California bbq recipes with Texas or Florida bbq recipes of the same time period. The regional differences were very distinctive 30-40 years ago. It’s harder to find local foodways now especially at bbq restaurants. I do find fantastic new outdoor cooking styles at bbq festivals like Hogs for the Cause and Q-Fests located across the country.

I like Raichlen's books. Esp planet bbq and the BBQ bible
The BBQ USA book doesnt interest me much. Maybe I have to check it out again.

But cookbooks to me are suggestions, they give me inspiration, but I will chop & change

@Ed Reilly : I cook on every type of grill, home made, bought, improvised, made up etc, but the type/brand actually doesn't matter much to me

Anne, I have posted here a few times my policy on that subject, which is, always make a recipe as written the first time. Then you make any changes you want if you make it again. That way, I feel we are doing the author of the recipe proper justice. ;)

Sure, and each to their own.

I am in a different position than most and cannot always get all ingredients, so subbing is a necessity.
On top of that, I got access to ingredients that may be difficult to find for others (as I grow some of them, or use them often enough to go out of my way to get them).
As I've said before as well, if I'm not familiar with a certain cuisine, I'll try follow the recipe. If I am, I chop and change.

Let's say: a recipe asks for a can of chick peas...
1 - I don't have those in stock
2 - I can only get them in the capital which is a 3-4 hour one-way drive
3 - I do have dried chick pess as I stock those and
4 - I know it tastes better that way.

As I said, each to their own. You don't have to agree with me, and you do have a point.
But I use recipes as a guideline. And that's OK as well.
Note that I will never say: sus and so's recipe sucks if I changed any of the ingredients. Instead of that I might say that the flavour combination doesn't appeal to me

Hi Anne, I so understand what you said. Remember I have mentioned many times here about running a cooking game for 10 years many years ago. The main idea behind the game was to use our cooking books. That is why I had the above policy. Of course, I am not saying everyone followed it. :giggle:

At a quick glance, I saw this. We have tried the two versions posted here by Brian and Brett and enjoyed them both. So, now a third version to try.

Barbecued Char Siu

Marinade
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup bourbon
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 TB. toasted sesame oil
2 TB. peeled, minced fresh ginger
1 TB. minced garlic
2 tsp. Chinese five spice
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper

1 boneless pork loin roast, about 3 lbs.
Ramen (optional)
sliced scallions (optional)
2 large handfuls apple or cherry wood chips

1. In a large bowl whisk the marinade ingredients. Pour off and reserve 1/2 cup of the marinade for basting the roast. Place
the roast in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the remaining marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly.
Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours or up to 48 hours,
turning occasionally.
2. Remove the roast from the bag and discard the marinade in the bag. Allow the roast to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
3. Soak the wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes.
4. Prepare the charcoal grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (350 to 450F).
5. Drain and add the wood chips to the charcoal. Grill the roast over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the roast registers 150F, 45 minutes to 1 hour, basting occasionally with the reserved 1/2 cup marinade. Do not baste during the final 15 minutes of cooking time. Remove from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes.

Source: Weber's New American Barbecue-Jamie Purviance-2016
Come he** or high water, DH was going to cook this tonight. It marinated for 2 days, and it was time, even if the winds were blowing and it was raining on and off. We both gave it a very good.

Bone Dust BBQ Spice
(a.k.a. The Best BBQ Rub)

½ cup paprika
¼ cup chili powder
3 tbsp salt
2 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp mustard powder
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp cayenne pepper

Mix all together. Makes about 2 1/2 cups

Source: "Hot, Sticky and on Fire" - Ted Reader

Back to this goodie!!!!! I thought I would check the Index and see what they have for the upcoming holiday. I only found 3 recipes for TURKEY. They are "Smoked Turkey Pastrami on Rye", Smoked Turkey with Herb Gravy", State Fair Turkey Legs. Now to go check them out and see if I want to post any of them. ;)

1668623651009.png

Yes I do. This just sounds soo good!!!!!!

Smoked Turkey Pastrami on Rye

RUB
1 TB. black peppercorns
1 TB. coriander seed
2 tsp. yellow mustard seed
2 TB. packed light brown sugar
1 TB. kosher salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground cumin

1 boneless turkey breast half, with skin, 2 1/2 to 3 lbs.
1 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
Sliced rye bread
Lettuce leaves
Tomato slices
Mayonnaise
New York-style deli mustard

1. In a small skillet over medium heat on the stove, stir and shake the peppercorns, coriander seeds, and mustard seeds until lightly toasted and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and cool for 5 minutes. Pour into a spice mill and pulse 15 to 20 times until coarsely ground. Transfer back to the small bowl, add the remaining rub ingredients, and mix well.
2. Brush the turkey breast with the oil and season evenly with the rub. Wrap tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap, place on a plate, and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours.
3. Prepare the smoker for indirect cooking with very low heat (225 to 275). When the temperature reaches 225F, add the wood chunks to the charcoal.
4. Cook the turkey breast, skin side up, over indirect very low heat, with the lid closed, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 160F, about 2 hrs. Remove the turkey from the smoker and let rest for 20 minutes, uncovered (the internal temp. will rise 5 to 10 degrees during this time.) Cut into slices.

Source: Weber's New American Barbecue-2016

Here are a few rub recipes from this cookbook.

LAMB RUB
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. granulated onion
1/2 tsp. anise seed

VEGETABLE RUB
1 tsp. mustard powder
1 tsp. granulated onion
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. kosher salt