BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

I guess I did open the book back in 2016. We did Chicken Thighs with Sweet Apricot- Hoisin Glaze, page 188. Didn't have apricot preserves so substituted pineapple preserves. We made it a total of three times now and just loved it.
Last time was in 2019 so with my fantastic memory I forgot about it. This works out great because Frys (Kroger) had a sale on bone in chicken thighs for $.99 a pound. Picked up 35 pounds of them and vacuum sealed 4 to a package and into the freezer they went. Going to do this one again soon.
Rich, with Nat'l Chicken Wing Day coming soon (7-29), do you think this recipe would work with wings (and with the pineapple preserves, of course lol)?

Rich, with Nat'l Chicken Wing Day coming soon (7-29), do you think this recipe would work with wings (and with the pineapple preserves, of course lol)?
Barb and I talked about that. Safeway had frozen wings on sale, so we picked up a bag. I looked at the recipe again and I think it would work well with wings. I would do it but with the charcoal restrictions that only leaves me the gasser and I won't get the results like I would with the performer and vortex. So I might hold off until fall.

What a shame Rich. Maybe bake them in the oven? I would hate for you and Barb to miss out on Nat'l Chicken Wing Day.

What a shame Rich. Maybe bake them in the oven? I would hate for you and Barb to miss out on Nat'l Chicken Wing Day.
Don't think the oven would be a good idea. It's 12:30 pm here and it's already 103 and we haven't hit the hottest part of the summer yet. Don't need to stress out our A/C with the oven on. Our E320 NG grill is our summer oven.
Our daughter lives in Surprise AZ which is just north of Phoenix was 117 there yesterday.

Rich, what is your grill environment? Are you shaded? Obviously everyone is different, but I know many people grill year round. Personally, I've enjoyed making mods to my grill that let me extend what I can do with it. A second level grate and trying different techniques helps me get good wings. I'm covered, shaded and usually wind protected (though I do have an overhead fan). 20s or 90s+ with extreme humidity I mostly keep at it. I know there are folks on TVWB that cook unprotected with three feet of snow. (Shovel required. Egad!)

But more to the point and at the risk of losing any cred I may have, when is Natl Chicken Wing Day? I have never heard of it and I want to play!

Rich, what is your grill environment? Are you shaded? Obviously everyone is different, but I know many people grill year round. Personally, I've enjoyed making mods to my grill that let me extend what I can do with it. A second level grate and trying different techniques helps me get good wings. I'm covered, shaded and usually wind protected (though I do have an overhead fan). 20s or 90s+ with extreme humidity I mostly keep at it. I know there are folks on TVWB that cook unprotected with three feet of snow. (Shovel required. Egad!)

But more to the point and at the risk of losing any cred I may have, when is Natl Chicken Wing Day? I have never heard of it and I want to play!
My two gassers are under a solid covered patio with only two sides open. The Camp Chef is out on a brick patio in the open along with our gasser kettle and the performer as soon as I finish the cart my Jumbo Joe will be out there also.
I don't grill much if at all in the winter, I get chilled really quickly because of the meds I take and it takes me hours to warm up again. If I want to do something on the Camp Chef and the weather is bad I just roll it up onto the patio. Right now it's 107 so I'll stay in and listen to the A/C hum.

100_6081.JPG

My two gassers are under a solid covered patio with only two sides open. The Camp Chef is out on a brick patio in the open along with our gasser kettle and the performer as soon as I finish the cart my Jumbo Joe will be out there also.
I don't grill much if at all in the winter, I get chilled really quickly because of the meds I take and it takes me hours to warm up again. If I want to do something on the Camp Chef and the weather is bad I just roll it up onto the patio. Right now it's 107 so I'll stay in and listen to the A/C hum.

View attachment 55495
Looks like you have a great setup. I don't like cold either and with meds like that would probably do the same.

20 years ago I bought my Weber and a copy of Jamie's Real Grilling - with the detachable tabs you can affix to favorite pages. The book is falling apart, but it gave me so much confidence (unlike some other disasters). If I want to know the time and temperature for something on the grill, I check that book first.

I guess I did open the book back in 2016. We did Chicken Thighs with Sweet Apricot- Hoisin Glaze, page 188. Didn't have apricot preserves so substituted pineapple preserves. We made it a total of three times now and just loved it.
Last time was in 2019 so with my fantastic memory I forgot about it. This works out great because Frys (Kroger) had a sale on bone in chicken thighs for $.99 a pound. Picked up 35 pounds of them and vacuum sealed 4 to a package and into the freezer they went. Going to do this one again soon.
Rich, last night DH finally made this recipe. He used the full rub on just 2 thighs and used orange marmalade. We both thought it was good. Thanks again. ;)

Good choice. This was the third of the four Raichlen books I got -- and mine also has multiple earmarked pages. I basically learned my BBQ "craft" from Raichlen. My BBQ USA probably has 100 marked recipe s.

Rich, my BBQ USA only has 6 recipes marked. lol Glad I took it down to look at it. I had forgotten this. Inside was a note saying that this book was a birthday gift from my daughter, Joy, back in '06. :love:

It's time to pick another cookbook The book I picked is "Steven Raichlen's Planet Barbecue" pub.2010 - 309 recipes from 60 countries. I must have looked it over at one time or another because I have 4 recipes marked.. It's a start. ;)
Well, DH has marked some more. I think it is going to be really hard to just pick a few to make. They all sound so good.

Rich, last night DH finally made this recipe. He used the full rub on just 2 thighs and used orange marmalade. We both thought it was good. Thanks again. ;)
This recipe was on my "try" list since I got the book, and you two prompted me to finally give it a go. Definitely going into my favorites pile!

Back