BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

1669395809865.png
What a shame. I also have this book and JUST found out it is the same as the one above, except the one above is the American version. :oops:

Another shame, my other post is on the last page of this thread. :giggle:

Last edited:
View attachment 63253
Looking into this book with DH. Let's hope we can find something he will want to cook. ;)
HA HA We didn't get very far into the book before DH found a steak recipe for him for tonight. (pg. 52) If he likes it, will post recipe later. It is soo sad to think of all the other goodies sitting in our cookbooks that we just don't look through. This thread is helping us, just hope it is helping you all also.

Well, this is what DH said about his dinner last night. "Most EXCELLANT!!!!! Make again soon". Looks like I have a lot of typing to do :giggle:

and here it is!

Cumin-Crusted Grilled Skirt Steak Tacos

THE MEAT
2 1/2 lb. trimmed skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
1 large red onion, peeled and cut into 1/2" thick rounds (keep rings together
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup cumin seeds
1 TB. paprika
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste

THE GLAZE
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1 TB. tomato puree
1 TB. pureed chipotle chiles, or 1 TB. chile powder

THE AVOCADOS
2 ripe but firm avocados
juice of 6 limes (about 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
Kosher salt and freshy cracked black pepper to taste

THE WRAPS
12 corn tortillas, 6 to 8" across

1. Combine the glaze ingredient in a medium saucepan and on the stove top, bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer vigorously until the mixture has reduced by two-thirds and become slightly syrupy (30-40 min.). Remove the glaze from the heat and allow to cool to room temp.
2. While the glaze reduces, halve, pit and peel the avocados; cut each half into thin slices. Put the avocado slices, lime juice and cilantro in a small bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss gently until the avocado is evenly coated, then transfer to a serving dish, cover and set aside until serving time.
3. Build a fire in your grill.
4. Rub the steaks and onion slices with olive oil and sprinkle evenly with the cumin, paprika and salt and pepper.
5. When the fire is ready, put the steaks on the grill directly over the coals and cook until they are done to your liking (4-5 min. per side for medium rare). Brush the steaks generously with the glaze during the last 45 seconds of cooking on each side. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak on the bias across the grain, arrange the slices on a serving platter; and drizzle with the remaining glaze.
6. While the steaks are resting, put the tortillas around the edges of the grill and cook briefly, flipping every 10 seconds or so, until they are soft and pliable (about 1 minute). Wrap the stack of warm tortillas in a large napkin or foil and take them to the table along with the lime-marinated avocados and steak, so your guests can "roll their own". Serves 4

Source: "Grill It" - Chris Schlesinger & John Willoughby - 2008

Hi, I have mentioned throughout this forum various BBQ/Grilling cookbooks that I have and like using and so have a few of you. I thought it would be nice to have this thread to talk more about them. Hope you all agree. For starters, how many BBQ/Grilling cookbooks do you have and do you have a favorite?
Since I have been the only one posting for a while, I thought maybe a lot of you thought this thread was for me only. So, for those that may apply to, please, if you have a BBQ/Grilling cook book, come join me here and post away. ;)

The first thing DH tried to grill from this book was last nights dinner, "Orange-Ginger Pork Chops. So many things went wrong, that we can't give it a fair rating. Maybe DH will try it again some time soon.

The first thing DH tried to grill from this book was last nights dinner, "Orange-Ginger Pork Chops. So many things went wrong, that we can't give it a fair rating. Maybe DH will try it again some time soon.
Gee, how can something go wrong following a recipe? :LOL: I have numerous cookbook from Raichlen, Flay and others, but seldom follow recipes though I often use them for ideas. I won't claim to have a better success rate than you folks. :oops:

Rich, it wasn't the recipe as much as it was the weather and the pork chop :( And you know we have followed hundreds of recipes with really GREAT success.

Gee, how can something go wrong following a recipe? :LOL: I have numerous cookbook from Raichlen, Flay and others, but seldom follow recipes though I often use them for ideas. I won't claim to have a better success rate than you folks. :oops:
Rich, do you have any of Weber's cookbooks?

I've done the Orange-Ginger chops recipe. Even my wife, who is the pickiest eater in existence, thought they were good.

Suggest trying again under better circumstances!

Yes, I have 2 Or 3 Weber cookbooks -- very helpful.

And no , not you. Luck or fate is known as the fickle lady. Or the fickle finger of fate. Joan, Joan, Joan. Not you!

I've done the Orange-Ginger chops recipe. Even my wife, who is the pickiest eater in existence, thought they were good.

Suggest trying again under better circumstances!
Grant, I don't know how old you and your wife are, but do you think pork chops today taste as good as they used to before they started to make the hogs leaner?

Smoke and Spice - Great BBQ recipes. Over 1000 pages (at least on Kindle) so I am slowly working my way through. Everything has been fantastic. Screenshot_20230622_123348_Kindle.jpg

Grant, I don't know how old you and your wife are, but do you think pork chops today taste as good as they used to before they started to make the hogs leaner?
Definitely! It's not just that they're leaner; pigs today are specifically bred to grow faster and yield more weight than to produce great flavor. (The infamous "The Other White Meat" advertising campaign of the '80s and '90s didn't help.)

Getting a heritage breed pig, a slow-growing type that doesn't have much commercial value in today's markets, makes a big difference in flavor. Our last pig was a Berkshire, and the difference between it and a market breed pig (grown under exactly the same conditions by the same farmer) is remarkable. The raw Berkshire meat is red, and when cooked is more flavorful. Other heritage breeds, such as the Red Wattle, are reported to be even better.

Then again, this is true with all livestock. Chickens don't taste like chickens any longer because of market breeding pressures, and the same can be said for cattle. It's not just livestock, either - fruits and vegetables have been hybridized to keep and travel long distances, and both flavor and nutritional value have taken a back seat to economic interests.

If you're interested in a more thorough look at this, I can highly recommend the book "The Dorito Effect" by Mark Schatzker. He does a deep dive into why and how we've engineered our food to taste blander and deliver less nutrition. It's fascinating and very readable.

Grant, thank you. I really thought it was just me. You know, getting older, taste buds going, certain medicines.

I wonder why, we as consumers, haven't done something about all of that.

Back