BBQ Chicken Temp

Bill Hall

TVWBB Fan
I've been hitting ribs hard lately to try different techniques and need a break from pork. I plan on cooking either a spatchcocked bird or halves. I would usually cook this in my kettle but want to try it in the WSM. I am curious to see if it gives it a little different flavor profile since the WSM tends to have a better aroma and seasoning to it then my kettle. I was reading up on some different cooking temps and techniques from the VWB site and Harry Soo's site as well. There seem to be two major suggestions for temp. Harry prefers 275 and most others suggest 325-350 for the skin to crisp. Has anyone tried both temps and prefer one over the other?

If you cook the chicken at a lower temperature you can always finish the skin over higher heat to crisp it up. I generally go about 350 or so, though, for the convenience.

Thanks for the suggestion Brad. I assumed there wouldn't be that much of a difference in texture or flavor of the meat. I know it will affect the skin though.

Personally I like to spatchcock and cook at 325F. I find the meat stays moist and tender and the skin crisps up nicely, additionally when it's spatchcocked it will stay more tender I have found and it looks cooler. I recently did a 350F cook and on occasion the fire got too hot (was a windy day), burnt some of the seasoning, breast meat was a little dry and some of the thigh meat where the legs meet was undercooked.
Overall, my advice would be 300-325 range for an ideal end result

Personally I like to spatchcock and cook at 325F. I find the meat stays moist and tender and the skin crisps up nicely, additionally when it's spatchcocked it will stay more tender I have found and it looks cooler. I recently did a 350F cook and on occasion the fire got too hot (was a windy day), burnt some of the seasoning, breast meat was a little dry and some of the thigh meat where the legs meet was undercooked.
Overall, my advice would be 300-325 range for an ideal end result
300 to 325 seems to be a good average to go with. I might do two different birds at different temps and post the results. Thanks for the advice.

i think the hot and fast method that Chris has in cooking topics is easy and works great. no water pan chicken on top rack and let er rip

I've had good results at 300°+ with no pan or lower grate. The chicken fat flares up, adding a nice flavor layer, but has no chance of reaching the bird.

Jeff

i think the hot and fast method that Chris has in cooking topics is easy and works great. no water pan chicken on top rack and let er rip
That's how I cook it on the PBC, hot and direct from a distance. If the indirect with the empty pan doesn't work out, ill try it without the pan next time.

325-340 here, but i only do leg quarters usually
I take meat to 200+ too....so its ez off bone eating

325-340 here, but i only do leg quarters usually
I take meat to 200+ too....so its ez off bone eating
Thanks for the tip. I have a pack of leg quarters in the freezer begging to be cooked after this whole chicken. I think If I took the whole chicken up to 200 the breasts would be dry though.

Back