BBQ Chicken Bacon Cheesey Goodness

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Followed the below Malcolm Reed recipe tonight https://howtobbqright.com/2019/10/10/monterey-chicken/
Keep one piece of chicken out with just bbq rub and sauced for the kids. Got to use my new CI skillet for meat for the first time. Grilled some carrots and butternut squash, and made some mashed potatoes to go with. There was no leftovers even though I wish there was. The chicken bacon cheese mess over the potatoes was so good. I will be making it again. IMG_20200725_215623.jpgIMG_20200725_215634.jpgIMG_20200725_215652.jpgIMG_20200725_215553.jpgIMG_20200725_215600.jpgIMG_20200725_215618.jpgIMG_20200725_215644.jpg

That looks fantastic, will be doing that for sure. Still looking for that 26er I hope;)

Last edited:
Good looking cook Micheal, your putting that mastertouch to work!!
Good luck with the hunt for a 26”. I’ve got big blue showing up tomorrow, very excited!!

Followed the below Malcolm Reed recipe tonight https://howtobbqright.com/2019/10/10/monterey-chicken/
Keep one piece of chicken out with just bbq rub and sauced for the kids. Got to use my new CI skillet for meat for the first time. Grilled some carrots and butternut squash, and made some mashed potatoes to go with. There was no leftovers even though I wish there was. The chicken bacon cheese mess over the potatoes was so good. I will be making it again. View attachment 10211View attachment 10212View attachment 10213View attachment 10214View attachment 10215View attachment 10216View attachment 10217
Nice cook! How big is the cast iron in pic? Im looking to get one...deciding between 8 inch vs 12 inch...planning to use it for searing to finish off steaks and occassional smash burgers...any recommendations?

Nice cook! How big is the cast iron in pic? Im looking to get one...deciding between 8 inch vs 12 inch...planning to use it for searing to finish off steaks and occassional smash burgers...any recommendations?
It's a 10 inch and I think it is perfect to use with the 22 inch kettle. So my grill basket is a 12 inch and I often feel like it takes up too much of the grill. I was thinking of getting a 8 inch CI skillet, but after seeing one that size I thought it was to small so I went with the 10 inch and am glad I did! I keep using it for the grill. It is one of my favorite grill tools. This is my first CI skillet and I love. I just bought a cheap lodge form Walmart and it is doing great... My recommendation is to get one that is within you price range and learn how much you use it and then figure out what you want to do from there. Only my daughter and I like burgers so I am going to use the CI skillet for her and I to have smash burgers and make another protein for the others.

It's a 10 inch and I think it is perfect to use with the 22 inch kettle. So my grill basket is a 12 inch and I often feel like it takes up too much of the grill. I was thinking of getting a 8 inch CI skillet, but after seeing one that size I thought it was to small so I went with the 10 inch and am glad I did! I keep using it for the grill. It is one of my favorite grill tools. This is my first CI skillet and I love. I just bought a cheap lodge form Walmart and it is doing great... My recommendation is to get one that is within you price range and learn how much you use it and then figure out what you want to do from there. Only my daughter and I like burgers so I am going to use the CI skillet for her and I to have smash burgers and make another protein for the others.

I have an 18 inch grill....do you still recommend the 10 inch CI for that? Is that big enough to sear 2 steaks or 2 smash burgers at the same time?

I have an 18 inch grill....do you still recommend the 10 inch CI for that? Is that big enough to sear 2 steaks or 2 smash burgers at the same time?
Those were good size pieces of chicken and I stilled had room, so I really think you could get two steaks or smash burgers in it pretty easily. I am known for filling my grill with a bunch of food so I didn't want to go to big, but when I looked at the 8 inch lodge CI skillet that one just seemed too small. I think it would be tighter to get two burgers or steaks in it, but if you fill your 18 inch grill up the way I do my 22, you may want to go with the smaller CI skillet to leave more space for other stuff.

Back