BBQ and weather

Bill Sutton

TVWBB Member
Tell you what, I have BBQ'd in snow storms, grilled in rain storms, I have mounted my WSM on the back of my truck and Q'd through a flood. Even the storms tracking through Michigan every day this week haven't stopped me. But this darn humidity; I'm pan frying pork steaks tonight!

I wouldn't complain too much. The south is known for BBQ and known for humidity. I'm sure you'll be ok, my friend.

I once fled a hurricane to Birmingham where I have kin folks, (for you northerners thats relatives). I got caught in more weather there than had I stayed in Florida. I grilled two pork tenderloins with an unberella in one hand trying to blow away, and tongs tucked under my other arm. Electricity was off and had to use a flash light. Had to alternate the flash light and tongs. Dinner by candle light naturally. Im used to the humidity.

I'm the same way... don't mind bbq'ing in snow & bitter cold, but the hottest days of summer sometimes find me cooking inside (with the air conditioner).

A guys has to do what a guy has to do. I admit that extremely cold weather and RAIN can stop me. However, this week I am trying to make up for it. My oldest son and his family are going to be here for a week. We have been BBQing our little hearts out. Monday was Harry Soo style pulled pork, Tuesday was a VERY nice full side filet from an Atlantic Salmon (wild) on a Cedar plank, tonight was Pepper Stout Beef, tomorrow will be simple hamburgers (with white Irish Cheddar and bacon) with whole grilled onions and our world famous local sweet corn on a grill, and Friday will be London Broil grilled by my son (he is a SERIOUS griller, himself). We have had wonderful sides and all in all has been a memorable week (with NO pictures, as yet:confused:). The "cooks" have been absolutely wonderful with everything at the top of our game and that is GOOD!

Happy Smoke to all:wsm: !!

Dale53

Humidity makes the meat more moist. ;)

I live in S. Florida so I'm not sure what it would be like to cook without it. Thank goodness I dont have to put up with those winters though.

It turns out that I was mistaken; the wife said that I would be grilling outside after all. Pork steaks and asparagas... and lots of beer. Not so bad in the end.

Tell you what, I have BBQ'd in snow storms, grilled in rain storms, I have mounted my WSM on the back of my truck and Q'd through a flood. Even the storms tracking through Michigan every day this week haven't stopped me. But this darn humidity; I'm pan frying pork steaks tonight!
Bill, I'm with you. I am not too far from you. Even staying under my patio umbrella, it was way too hot and humid. I'm with John, staying inside with the air conditioner and cooking. Can't wait for the heat and humidity to break this weekend. I'm going to try a prime rib roast on my rotisserie.

It turns out that I was mistaken; the wife said that I would be grilling outside after all. Pork steaks and asparagas... and lots of beer. Not so bad in the end.
Way to go Bill!
Here in Missouri we have both weather extremes, and I prefer cool or even cold over hot or very warm.
You can always layer up for the cold, but grilling in the nude brings the cops, at least for me it does. :rolleyes:

I'm looking into one of those WSM body extenders and my brother-in-law is going to weld me up one of these rib hangers. I don't have any big cooking plans for the weekend, but next week I'm cooking some ribs!

Here in Arizona they say "but it's a dry heat"...yeah, well it's still HEAT! But hot or cold, I'm grillin', bbq'in' or smokin'...

I have yet to have weather that has stopped me from grilling or Q'ing. I'll be the first to admit though i'm a wuss when it comes to the heat. I usually stay outside with the grill while I cook but with this heat my trips to the grill are for only as long as it takes to flip or add/remove food and then its back in the AC.

We've had torrential rainfall lately here in South Carolina. We've already gotten over 2 inches more rain this month than the historical average (and we've got 10 more days of July!).

It's been raining every flippin' day so it has been a bit of a damper on my grilling.

On the bright side, the rain has cooled things down so our summer hasn't been nearly as hot as usual.

Back