Barbacoa de Vaca Cabeza

Jim, I have to say that I'm really glad you stuck this one out and I'm proud of you. There is so much out there in the world of food and it's sort of depressing to see how dependent many of us are on a few choice cuts of beef or pork.

Thank You!

i'm very humbled by all the responses & views this post received... and would like to thank everyone:)

you are so correct Jeff, many different ways to prep all types of beef and it just blows my mind to hear how some turn away simply from knowing WHERE the beef comes from.
Chad from Edwardsville, i believe, said it best, “The longer you look at that last plated picture the less you think about the origins of the protein.”

Anyway, it was fun and exciting to see how it would turn out. I'm always leerly of how something I make will taste...
I did take some to work to share with the willing co-workers...
only a few did, I can count them on one hand with two fingers down... the finest comp i got was from Ray, who has had barbacoa before, said it was "the best I've had"... :) and another from Bill, who never tried it before said he "liked it alot" although, he did say it was spicier than he would have liked...

Well... again, i thank everyone for viewing... for those great comments... and to Chris Allingham & this GREAT site for the inspiration & the privilege to post the "cook".

desismileys_6637.gif

Thank you Jeanie!
It's wonderful to see you here;) and I'm honour to host your first post:eek: I expect your stay to be most enjoyable!

I don't know how I missed this thread...I'm still fixated by the photos on Page 1. I've seen this in barbecue books, but never here on TVWBB. All I can say is, you've got bigger huevos than me to cook something like this. :)

Congrats,
Chris

i'm very humbled by all the responses & views this post received... and would like to thank everyone:)

you are so correct Jeff, many different ways to prep all types of beef and it just blows my mind to hear how some turn away simply from knowing WHERE the beef comes from.

we are simply doing a disservice to the animal to not appreciate it in it's entirety or to accept it as a once living thing. I'm working my way up to participating in a slaughter, not because I'm blood thirsty (quite the opposite), but feel it's important to understanding the process and maybe reduce some of my cavalier attitude towards meat.

I've seen this in barbecue books, but never here on TVWBB

I hope you are referring to a cow head as I have previously posted a cook of a pig head, and possibly lamb heads:D

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?17237-Coolest-thing-I-ve-ever-smoked&highlight=coolest

we are simply doing a disservice to the animal to not appreciate it in it's entirety or to accept it as a once living thing. I'm working my way up to participating in a slaughter, not because I'm blood thirsty (quite the opposite), but feel it's important to understanding the process and maybe reduce some of my cavalier attitude towards meat.

I completely agree with you J. As a society in North America, we've been removed from the process of getting our food. People who see my paltry backyard deck planters with lettuces and herbs and tomatoes are always saying things like "that's so cool that you grow your own stuff" or "wow, I can't believe that stuff grows in little flower planters". Others see things like the cows head Jim posted and they are revolted. In 90% of the world people eat from the nose of the animal to the tail. Out of tradition, respect and...more often than not...necessity. When I was young we spent allot of time in my mothers native country of Trinidad. When my grandmother said "we're having curry chicken for dinner, go get a chicken" she was sending one of us out into the yard to get one...not to the supermarket. I was probably 14 the first time I helped my cousin slaughter a sheep. I respect the animals that I eat and don't want them to have died in vain. I really commend you for wanting to participate J, it will change your attitudes for sure.

I also commend Jim for doing this cook, and welcome the attitudes of many people who are becoming more interested in eating things that are different. I guess it's because it's becoming more popular in restaurants and on the Food Network, but regardless it's a good thing...except of course the price of really good things like blood sausage and oxtails going through the roof.

Jim, you know I'm a big fan, and I credit you with most of my knowledge on bending the lines and doing things in a way nobody has thought of. My hat is off to you for trying this cook and showing us yet another way to make tasty food and think outside the box.

;)
Well, it's been a year and I told myself that deserves attention of those who have not seen...
Fantastic post, Jim! Best of best!

Used to live on LI and the local meat market would have a case filled with Lamb's heads at Easter time, so the Cow Head doesn't scare me off one bit. I'd bring the beer and enjoy eating this meal any day of the week. Great post, Jim. Thoroughly enjoyed it!!

I know, it is three years back ... but this is the best post that here ever was. Maybe there are members who have not seen, it worth seeing. Great post Jim!

Fantastic meal and write-up Jim. Always inspiring us to try to "Q" different things.

P.S. Gas is $1.71 here.

Well I can say I've seen it all now. First time seeing this thread, truly amazing!

Jim that was incredible post for sure and the plate of food was excellent. Not sure if I'd try it, maybe if I didn't know what was in it. Still outstanding post as always.

Mildo, kinda thought you'd dig up this post again... Thanks buddy :)
and thanks folks, it was a weird cook, but fun nonetheless!

Back