Bacon Beer

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm looking for some ideas (ie what other people think) is the ideal beer to go with some smoked ribs for a party I'm hosting. Has to be available in Canada (www.lcbo.com)

Besides my usual draft, I've definitely decided on Kostritzer Schwarzbier
koestritzer_2.jpg

but the one I'm asking about is Aecht Schlenkerla
dsc_00061.jpg

It's described as
What is Rauchbier you ask? It is a smoked beer. Rauch meaning “smoke” in German. It is a very old style of beer. Dating back as far as the first century BC. Malt is dried over an open flame which infuses the smoke into the grains, this in turn is transferred into the beer.

About the Beer – It pours a very dark ruby colour with a nice thick head. The aroma reminded me of good quality smoked bacon. The flavour was also very bacon-ish as well as a bit of sweetness. Those were the only flavours I could taste as I found the smoke very overpowering.

I think it's going to be ok as a 'one off' but has anyone tried it?

I've had a couple different smoked beers, unfortunately the best way I can describe them is absolutely disgusting. Maybe some people are into it, but to me it tasted like I was drinking rancid meat juice.

A lot of porters can impart a bit of a smokey or peaty taste, without being "smoked", per se.

Have you thought about pairing with something that would complement the smoked food, rather than match it? As an example, many people recommend pairing a sweeter wine with spicy asian food - sweet to contrast the spice. So, rather than pairing your smoky food with a smoky beer, maybe something fruity? I am far from being an expert (or even an amatuer) on food pairing, but it's just a thought.

Originally posted by JimK:
A lot of porters can impart a bit of a smokey or peaty taste, without being "smoked", per se.

Have you thought about pairing with something that would complement the smoked food, rather than match it? As an example, many people recommend pairing a sweeter wine with spicy asian food - sweet to contrast the spice. So, rather than pairing your smoky food with a smoky beer, maybe something fruity? I am far from being an expert (or even an amatuer) on food pairing, but it's just a thought.

I know exactly what you mean. Contrast is (sometimes) better than match. Like adding a bit of smoke (I don't) to coleslaw to match your 'Q.

Too much of a good thing is not necessarily good.

On the other hand, as far as contrast goes I definitely wouldn't even consider having a smokey beer with something like salmon.

I do have a "lighter" beer to go with this (a cream ale and a "draft" beer) just so it's not the only choice.

I tried a local smoked porter, couldn't hack it.
Benny pretty much summed it up for me too.
But I'm a lager drinker, and some folks might like it.

1938de87608f3c9ccdfa1c26ef09c040_320x320.jpg

Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Len not sure if this has made it into your neighbourhood LCBO but I would highly recommend it. Beaus Lug-Tread

I saw that one listed elsewhere but forgot to search it. It's at LCBO here. I'll try some first
icon_wink.gif
before foisting on unsuspecting party goers.

Thanks.

Appreciate your input folks. Settled on:

kostritzer Schwarzbier (for the new experience)
Muskoka Cream Ale (a 'regular' beer)
Neustadt 10w30 (a dark beer)
Lug-Tread (amber)

and the best margaritas north of the border
icon_biggrin.gif

I too have tried a rauchbier (or smoked beer) and was not a fan. Drinking that smoky flavor just didn't work for me.

I'm a big fan of craft beers, but I just can't take rauchbier. Have you thought of a Jalapeno flavored beer? I always thought it might make a good complement to BBQ. The flavor is interesting, to say the least.

I just made a strawberry/raspberry/jalapeno jam to put on the cornbread.

Can't use jalapeno-flavoured beer to put out that heat
icon_wink.gif
unless there's no heat in it (which I doubt).

Len, I would be a touch careful pairing Rauchbier's with smokey foods as they may get a bit over the top in my experience competing with the flavours of the meat.. I would suggest pairing to the sweetness/fattiness of the meats you are doing. Perhaps look to a Belgian Pale or Strong golden, which should match a bit of sweetness with some belgian spiciness that loves meat. You could go to the exact opposite side of the tracks and aim for a nice American Amber or red ale.. One beer I am quite fond of paired with bbq is Dieu Du Ciel's Route Des Epices which is brewed with pepper corns.

That being said I have had excellent luck with just bringing options and letting folks try what they wanted. Have fun with it - just try them a bit before hand to guage the strength of the smokiness if you go with either of the rauchbier options!

Good Luck

While I do like smoke beer I have never paired it with bbq. I would think the flavors would compete rather than compliment. I like pilsners, lagers, and esbs with bbq. For my taste even IPAs can compete with the flavors that I have tried so hard to achieve. Sounds like you have all of the bases covered to me though.

i've had the aecht schlenkerla rauchbier marzen and the smokey meatiness was overwhelming to my palate on it's own. however, i love their helles (with the blue/white diamond pattern bavarian label). being a helles lager, it is very approachable and has just a hint of smoke to it. the crisp carbonation and dry finish would provide a nice contrast to bbq while the barest tinge of smoke in that beer would complement.
i also second the suggestion for an ipa, although if paired with sweeter bbq i'd go with a west coast style ipa, the malt serving only to showcase the dry, bitter hop finish to cleanse the palate. also goes well with spice.
porters and stouts would also tend to pair well with beef, with the rich malts complementing.
beer in general is a great pairing with bbq-the carbonation cuts the richness and again cleanses the palate.
glad to see beer pairings discussed here-imho most of what passes as bbq to the masses is mediocre and that goes for beer too.
having a three floyds zombie dust right now and have eaten ribs off the wsm 5 out of the last 7 days.
thanks to all the experts on here for the great advice, haven't had a bad cook yet.
cheers

Alaskan makes a smoked porter which is one of their few beers I cannot drink! A nice medium IPA would work well but this is my go to BBQ beer
[IMG:top]
9e003129.jpg
[/IMG]

Amazing flavor and not as heavy as you would think! Reminds me a bit like a coffee porter type beer!

Back