Back to Basics Brisket

Todd Phillips

TVWBB Pro
With doing a ton of comps this year and getting caught up with what the judges want. I almost forgot how to throw down a nice,basic brisket that actually taste like brisket.

Just a 18lbs bought from Sams.

IMAG1953_zps1775b837.jpg

I did spend some time trimming her up.Took about 4lbs off. That's one thing the comps will teach you. Is how to trim a brisket up too make your life easy once you yank it off. For you folks just learning the world of Brisket, You can see were I did my grain cut on the upper left hand side. Then I cleaned off all the hard tissue along the sides and around the top side of the point and flat. It's easier to do this now. Once the brisket is all barked up, You can't see your grain or nasty fats.This way I make one simple cut to separate it. Dice my burnt ends up and I already know my slices will fit on the plate with no bad fats.

IMAG1959_zpsf7b1ac72.jpg

IMAG1960_zps923acd6c.jpg

I just did a very basic rub.Salt,Pepper,Garlic with a little bit of chille powdwer. No injecting, No 15 layers of "different flavor profiles."

IMAG1966_zpse2701901.jpg

Chucked her on around 260ish and forget about it until the guru to start beeping at the 170 mark. Wrapped her in a beef broth base marinade and probed for tenderness about three hrs later. She finally gave it up about 9hr into it. Vented her out and rested. Diced up my burnt ends and chucked them back on while she took a nap in the cambreo. Then I really enjoyed a very basic brisket.

smoked-brisket_zps0a2bd604.jpg

brisket-007_zps50b38748.jpg

burnt-ends_zps680104e5.jpg

Brisket looks great and thanks for the information as well. Been intimidated about doing a brisket, but this post was extremely informative, and a tool that I will definitely use!

Great job, Todd! That trim job is as nice as I've seen. Beautiful slices, excellent smoke ring. Burnt Ends look off the chart.

If your "basic" brisket looks this good, I can't even imagine what your comp ones look like. Terrific post, Todd!

Brisket looks great and thanks for the information as well. Been intimidated about doing a brisket, but this post was extremely informative, and a tool that I will definitely use!

Don't be intimidated. It's just a stubborn piece of meat. Heat with the right amount of time and you will be golden! I've done a ton of briskets and I still break one every know and then

If your "basic" brisket looks this good, I can't even imagine what your comp ones look like. Terrific post, Todd!

Comps look just as good, but don't taste as good. With having less then 10sec to amaze someone. You end up injecting it and rubbing it down with so much funk. It almost loses "That big beefy taste"

What were your rest times? Before you cut the burnt ends, then after they went on.
Thanks!

Here's what I do. Once she's done and pulled of the pit I crack the top of the foil open and let it vent down to around 180degrees. I will then separate the flat and place it in a new piece of foil. Add fresh marinade about a 1/4cup(simmered warm) and a 1/4 cup from the foil it's been cooking in, Wrap as tight as possible (no air) and place in cambreo or cooler. Then I will doctor up my burnt ends and put them back on for 45min to 1 1/2. Depends on the point itself. At this time the flat has been resting for well over an hr. Can it go longer...Sure. Does it need to? Not really. The rest time between 1 1/2hrs to 2hrs is not going to change your brisket. Un wrap it and save your aju'. Once you start to slice your flat, just place your slices in the aju for a minute or so then plate. Paint your slices with your best batch of bbq sauce you ever made. Add a few big chunks of the devils candy and serve with your favorite craft brew. Suddenly,Neighbors and friends will start showing up randomly with briskets for you to do your magic with.

Back