Back alley pork

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Well with all the Roadside Chicken posts going on lately I decided I’d cook up some Back Alley pork. What’s back alley pork you ask? Well it’s pork marinated in the Roadside Chicken Marinade!
I decided to use the Minitisserie for his cook, and it worked great! I put the Minitisserie body on the 14.5” WSM. Fit like a glove. I did have to use he lid from the Smokey Joe. The 14.5” lid didn’t fit. I had a nice pork cushion roast so I mixed up the marinade and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

5E8647F1-A9B0-4C80-A28F-527F6D1866A9.jpeg7F1868C9-C8A2-4A10-AB05-931C497EF890.jpeg
0F9F1412-7E93-4C76-8D76-6F5E6FFC966E.jpeg4E70FF2F-6BC1-4276-ABE6-F19DF151C198.jpegC0342E5B-45A6-435B-A018-FB65EEB63468.jpegCB85734D-79A4-445E-BE22-E1D5EEDC79D6.jpeg68D5FE8A-2B6E-4727-BA6E-74D5C9B96761.jpeg

That looks great, Case! The question is.....will Back Alley Pork become a long-standing TVWBB tradition...?? :)

R

Great idea, Case; and it gave me a flashback to using 'chicken' flavors on pork. When I was a kid, we lived in Hawaii for 4 years. During that time, you could always get huli-huli chicken from roadside stands (the 'roadside' connection is interesting). We fell in love with that chicken and my father spent years working on a recipe for it. Many years later, on a beach vacation with the family that lived next door, Dad accidentally mixed up a double batch of huli-huli marinade. So he set half aside, and we used it two days later for pork chops. We named it Puna' Luu' pork. It turned out to be just as popular as the chicken version. I'm gonna have to try your Roadside pork very soon. I've actually used it on steak and also as an asparagus marinade - worked great in both situations.

Great idea, Case; and it gave me a flashback to using 'chicken' flavors on pork. When I was a kid, we lived in Hawaii for 4 years. During that time, you could always get huli-huli chicken from roadside stands (the 'roadside' connection is interesting). We fell in love with that chicken and my father spent years working on a recipe for it. Many years later, on a beach vacation with the family that lived next door, Dad accidentally mixed up a double batch of huli-huli marinade. So he set half aside, and we used it two days later for pork chops. We named it Puna' Luu' pork. It turned out to be just as popular as the chicken version. I'm gonna have to try your Roadside pork very soon. I've actually used it on steak and also as an asparagus marinade - worked great in both situations.
Jim the next time I make roadside chicken (which will be soon because I got a bunch of leg/thigh quarters at the store yesterday) I am going to have to try the marinade on asparagus.
Do you still make your dad's recipe?

Case,
Teach me more about a pork cushion, I think I have heard of it before, is it a part of the picnic shoulder that is cut from the bone, or am I completely wrong?

Case,
Teach me more about a pork cushion, I think I have heard of it before, is it a part of the picnic shoulder that is cut from the bone, or am I completely wrong?

Yep, its cut from the anterior side of the picnic shoulder. Costco sells them in. Four packs.

Do you still make your dad's recipe?

I do, and he does too. In fact, it is often a Father's Day treat - my parents, sisters and I fortunately all live within 90 minutes of each other and can easily (relatively) get together for special occasions and holidays.

I do, and he does too. In fact, it is often a Father's Day treat - my parents, sisters and I fortunately all live within 90 minutes of each other and can easily (relatively) get together for special occasions and holidays.
Is that a recipe you would be willing to share, I understand if it is a family recipe only.

Oh yeah I’m very familiar with Huli Huli chicken. When I lived on the Big Island there were two purveyors that had mega huli huli rotisserie trailers. One on the Kona side and one in the Hilo side. Both had great huli huli chicken. I’ve made it many times and have a good recipe too. Haven’t made it in a while. I have a whole chicken in the freezer maybe I’ll spatchcock it’s this weekend and give it a soin for some Huli Huli!

I have it somewhere and will try to find it. I usually reserve my Huli-huli days for when Dad is cooking, but he has shared it with me.
Jim, in the meantime, hope you don't mind, I bumped up an old post on the chicken thread. Mainly because it had a couple of mentions of Raichlen. lol

Now thats some clever manufacturing going on there. I love the refurb alum pot set up.

Now thats some clever manufacturing going on there. I love the refurb alum pot set up.

Thank you! Yep just the ol Tamale pot into a smoker trick, modified into a rotisserie. Works great. Really should use it more as I like spinning meat!

Thank you! Yep just the ol Tamale pot into a smoker trick, modified into a rotisserie. Works great. Really should use it more as I like spinning meat!
Case, just a reminder, today is National Rotisserie Chicken Day (also Rocky Road Day and Bubba Day) lol

Back