Bachelor Skirt Steak

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Yeah, I still grill! :) Had some outside skirt (Angus from Wild Fork Foods) ready to go last night. Cut the skirt up into about six pieces WITH the grain, then a light dust of raw sugar, and a heavier dust of MeatChurch Holy Gospel. Had the pellet pooper running at 500° with the flat side of the Grill Grates ready to receive the skirt. 2 minutes per side, rested then sliced up AGAINST the grain. Tender, beefy, and DELICIOUS!

DD99D12D-1F03-4F66-8467-9D32B6B614B3_1_105_c.jpeg

558D3020-1404-4FFE-8001-79EDBB5B6AD7_1_105_c.jpeg

Rich, this is fantastic. Perfect edge-to-edge color on that steak. I love WFF. Had the same cut over the summer but my finished product was nowhere near as good as yours. 👍

Crazy.
Made skirt steaks last night. Just olive oil, salr, pepper, and garlic. Wanted to throw sugar in. Nit sure why. Now I know and can justify it to swmbo.
Thank you.
One question: temping these is not accurate. I had readings from 139 to 161.
I am a well done person. (Hah) but with skirt steak I prefer a hot, fast, and chomp chomp. These were not tender. Even for me.

Solution?

Crazy.
Made skirt steaks last night. Just olive oil, salr, pepper, and garlic. Wanted to throw sugar in. Nit sure why. Now I know and can justify it to swmbo.
Thank you.
One question: temping these is not accurate. I had readings from 139 to 161.
I am a well done person. (Hah) but with skirt steak I prefer a hot, fast, and chomp chomp. These were not tender. Even for me.

Solution?
I don't bother to try to temp skirt steaks, they are just too thin for any accuracy. I just go with a REALLY hot grill, 2-2.5 minutes per side, rest a few, and eat. I'm not a well done person with skirt or any other steak.

If you're sure you sliced your skirt across the grain after cooking them up, then maybe you just got a tough piece of meat (it happens.)

Guess you'll have to try again! :)

R

I will. Today!
Thank you.
More salt in marinade. Longer rest. Better piece to start with.
Still great to finally get the grill out after hibernation.

I don't bother to try to temp skirt steaks, they are just too thin for any accuracy. I just go with a REALLY hot grill, 2-2.5 minutes per side, rest a few, and eat. I'm not a well done person with skirt or any other steak.

If you're sure you sliced your skirt across the grain after cooking them up, then maybe you just got a tough piece of meat (it happens.)

Guess you'll have to try again! :)

R
Yeah, undercook and let the temp carry over, tented. Rare is fine on this too. Plenty of flavor and tenderness. One of the best grilling red meats off the cattle, IMO.

Longer marinade, more salt, sugar, about 3 minutes per side: better.
Not great, but better.
Skirt steak is one of the cuts that I will eat rare or well done. Tender, or at least chewable, is my only request. Last night's was closer. I believe mine was inside skirt steak, perhaps offsides. Temps were well above.
Lesson, listen to tvwbb, and start with steak not shoe tongue.

Back