Baby backs smoked with hickory/cherry combo

Angie H.

TVWBB Pro
A gorgeous Saturday afternoon here so threw some baby backs on old smokey. Minion method, 1/3 chimney unlit and 10 lit briquettes on top. My usual wood for ribs is apple but this time I used one chunk of hickory wood and three small chunks cherry wood in the coals. On the smoker rubbed down with Bone Suckin' rub.

1z30xo9.jpg

Took about 35 mins to come up to 275 and after some fluctuating she settled in at 277 and went between there and 285 for the cook.

o9jyva.jpg

After 2 hours and I was pretty pleased with the bark.

fth2x4.jpg

A squeeze of honey, sprinkle of brown sugar and honey on both sides they are all ready to go back on the smoker wrapped tight in foil for an hour.

qoin0j.jpg

After one hour, pulled back the foil did the toothpick test for doneness, they were good to go so I sauced them up with some Sweet Baby Ray's original.

nf2sg2.jpg

Dinner is served! Now time for me to kick back with a big glass of red wine and game 7 of Blackhawks vs. Ducks. Have a great weekend everyone!

14vgoqf.jpg

Thanks guys! These ribs were very, very tasty they had the right amount of bite and the smoke flavor was perfect. I was happy. My next rib cook is going to be a St. Louis cut I picked up from the grocery store for a good price, after memorial day sale I think. I don't have much of an idea how to smoke that cut yet. Suggestions are welcome. :)

Those are some awesome looking ribs great job. Welcome to the forum Angie your going to love it.

Got three racks of SL ribs in the freezer after seeing yours there's only going to be two shortly. Nice cook!

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I soaked in a lot of great information for my time of being quiet in the sidelines on this forum and am glad I finally got confident enough to post pics of my cooks.

Job well done, ribs look very good, and welcome to the forum Angie. I would cook those StL the same way, they may just take a little longer, but not much.

Minion method, 1/3 chimney unlit and 10 lit briquettes on top.
Do you mean 1/3 charcoal ring full with 10 lit on top? 1/3 chimney plus 10 would be about 40 briquettes. Am I missing something?

Dave, yes the charcoal ring was filled about 1/3 full of unlit briquettes and then I added 10 lit briquettes on top of that. Thanks for pointing that out! Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't checked on this post for a few days.

Back