B&B to the rescue ( hopefully)

Richard S

TVWBB Pro
OK...with Weber briquettes a thing of the past I am trying B&B for the first time! With no Kingsford sales recently my stash is getting low. I’m looking forward to trying these “Char-Logs”! I ordered through True Value and they shipped to my local Ace store! Very convenient!4E9E3E19-5696-40CC-98BA-3B8072CC2A95.jpeg

Where are you located at Richard?
Reason I ask is there has been a few threads where B&B has been hard to find for other members.
I am in Southern Oregon and the charcoal supply and variety here is slim! But ordering online on True Value and having it shipped was very easy!

The char logs look interesting. How big are the pieces? 30# for $19.99 seems fair if it works good.

I've used Pok Pok Thaan which if I could afford to use all the time I would. It's truly the cream of the crop for charcoal.

Still been a good supply of Kingsford up here in Bend. Not on sale but with as little as the 14" WSM uses I don't feel bad paying full price if needed.

The char logs look interesting. How big are the pieces? 30# for $19.99 seems fair if it works good.

They average about 2" diameter, 6" length. They are very dense. Have a hole down the middle to allow air so they can burn evenly. In that podcast with B&B's Oreilly, he says there made from left over residue from making briquettes, they use high pressure to bond them together. I forgot the name of the process. They burn for a longer period of time.

Like all charcoal, there will be broken smaller pieces in bottom of the bag, and this is the only whole piece in the bag I'm currently using .

Char Log.jpg

Lynn, thanks for posting that. Looks very reminiscent of the Pok Pok charcoal referenced hereabouts. I haven't seen the char logs, I'll have to keep my eyes open.

The advantage to Char Logs is the long burn. I would not use them for grilling in a Kettle or most other charcoal grills. They work well in a gravity feed. I also use them in my stick burner, if my coal bed is getting weak I can put a couple in there and really stablizes the fire.

I'll be dipped.... according to their website, the local Ace hardware has 30 lb. bags of the B+B char logs in stock for something like $23. I may have to go get a couple of bags to run through my GF.

I've used Pok Pok Thaan which if I could afford to use all the time I would. It's truly the cream of the crop for charcoal.

Still been a good supply of Kingsford up here in Bend. Not on sale but with as little as the 14" WSM uses I don't feel bad paying full price if needed.
I have been looking at ordering a box of the Pok Pok Thaan from Amazon to try. I am wondering how these would work on a Char Q since I do not have a Lodge Sportsman?

I'll be dipped.... according to their website, the local Ace hardware has 30 lb. bags of the B+B char logs in stock for something like $23. I may have to go get a couple of bags to run through my GF.

I picked up a bag of char logs today. The Ace hardware looks like they're selling the daylights out of B+B, they're stocking briquettes, competition brickets, lump in oak, hickory and mesquite and the char logs. And both big and small bags.

I'm gonna be very interested to see how these work & smell in the grill, and in the smoker.

Ugh...that doesn't sound like a very pleasant experience for her, but who am I to judge? ;)

I picked up a bag of char logs today. The Ace hardware looks like they're selling the daylights out of B+B, they're stocking briquettes, competition brickets, lump in oak, hickory and mesquite and the char logs. And both big and small bags.

I'm gonna be very interested to see how these work & smell in the grill, and in the smoker.

Finally got a good opportunity to break open the bag. Most pieces seem to be 3-5", pretty easy to fill a chimney. It did seem to be a little harder to light than B+B natural lump, and definitely had what I consider to be a an unpleasant aroma while lighting it off. Fortunately, that did not come through in the cauliflower I roasted, and the top sirloin I grilled for dinner. It started with a nice hot fire, and the cylindrical pieces did make it easy to arrange on the charcoal grate for an even fire. It did burn down rather faster than I expected.

Aside from the unpleasant aroma, it seemed to burn at least okay. I was hoping for a little longer burn. I will have to try this in my smoker.

Back